Chevrolet Impala, Caprice & Super Sport, 1965-70
Convertible Top and Convertible Top Parts
- Quality: Made to Chevrolet specs, 100% fit guarantee.
- Original Configuration: Two piece top, top section and window section
- Original Factory Material: Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl
- Original Window: Plastic window
- Original Colors: Black and GM White
- Alternate Materials: Haartz Stayfast Canvas
- Package Specials: Get a top and installation essentials at a discounted price with our Best Buy convertible top installation packages. Our packages include a top, plus new hold down cables, tack strips, a webbing pad, a staples and glue kit (including professional grade contact cement), and our own 1965-1970 Chevy Impala/Capric/Super Sport Convertible Top Installation Manual. We also offer the option of including an Arrow ETFX 50 Electric Stapler with Staples, which is ideal for driving 1/4", 1/2", and 3/8" staples into modern convertible top tack strips, eliminating the need for an air gun. We highly recommend it if you're installing your own top.
- About the Rear Windows: We stock a non-zippered plastic window, but we can custom order a zippered window if you prefer. Our glass windows come with or without zippers. We find the non-zipper windows easier to install and use, but the zippered windows offer the benefit of ventilation without taking the top down.
- Shop with confidence: 5 year manufacturer warranty.
- Hydraulic Components: Hydraulic cylinders, motor pumps and hose sets all available and in stock.
Preview our Convertible Top Installation Guide
Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl’s design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. Pinpoint refers to the little dots or pips that you see if you look closely at the vinyl surface. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
Haartz Stayfast Canvas has a canvas outer layer and a preshrunk cotton inner layer. The two are bonded with and separated by a butyl rubber core. It is this core that makes the fabric last a very long time, with both better static and dynamic wear ratings than vinyl toppings. Haartz Stayfast is the American substitute for the German canvases used in Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, some models of Mustang and Lebaron and others. Canvas is widely regarded as "richer looking" than vinyl. It is a little harder to clean. The inside of the top is pre-shrunk cotton. The inner lining is usually black. If you do not see a canvas top listed for your car, please inquire and we will provide a quotation for it.
Original Factory Colors: Dark Blue, White, Dark Walnut Brown, Beige, Black.
Installation: This is a classic two part top. You can read a thorough summary of the construction and installation of this top via the link at the bottom of this page. The full manual for installing these particular tops is available. It is an 18 page illustrated, step by step manual intended for the first time installer.
Both Parts Available Separately: If you wish to replace only the window section, or only the main top, the two parts are separately available.
Rear Windows: The 65-66 tops with glass windows originally had zippered rear windows. The 67 and later tops eliminated the zipper. We recommend the non-zippered top because it is easier to install and easier to use. However please specify whether you want the zippered or unzippered window (glass) in your checkout message box and we will supply the window of your choice.
Hold Down Cables: A pair of cables, one on each side, thread through pocketed hems on the main top sides. The ends of the cables hold the top to the frame. New cables are recommended with each new top. (You can read about cables in the installation summary link.)
Tacking strips: Much of the installation involves tacking or stapling (there is no sewing involved.) Tacking into the bow over the windshield (header bow) and into the bow over the rear window (rear top bow) is done into special strips embedded in these frame bows. We offer new tack strips for the front and rear top bows. They should not be required until after at least two tops have been stapled to them. Rebuilding the rear base line tacking strips requires grafting sections of suitable dimension and we would cut and ship per your needs for that purpose.
Top pads: Top padding "builds out" the top. Pads can last through two tops but should be replaced if of suspect condition.
Top Boots: You have the option of using a top storage boot. Our boot fits, as original. If any of the 16 boot clips need replacement you must order new clips (see "Accessories.")
Installation manual: The manual for classic two part tops is summarized at the link below. The manual for this convertible top, with details and measurements for its installation is available with the top or a top package.
We now stock hydraulic cylinders, motor-pumps, and hoses for your convertible tops. All are made to OEM specifications. Each can be ordered separately; however, when ordering hydraulic cylinders we recommend replacing both. The chances are that both hydraulic cylinders were manufactured at the same time: if one is on its way out the other may follow. If the top is raised and one hydraulic cylinder is working harder than the other the result over time can lead to a slightly bent convertible top frame. The replacement of both hydraulic cylinders will ensure that the top raises and lowers symmetrically.
Systems for this car take Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and have a 5 year warranty when used with this fluid. Brake fluid should not be used as it voids the warranty. We also offer an installation manual when ordered.
The 12 volt motor-pumps include a mounting bracket with rubber grommets to reduce vibration.
We also offer a rebuilding service for motor-pumps. Not all are repairable, but it is less expensive to have one rebuilt than to buy a new one. The motor-pump would need to be sent to us for evaluation. Hoses come with all new fittings and are made specifically to fit your car.
Parts in this category (Chevrolet Impala, Caprice & Super Sport) fit cars for years: 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969 and 1970.
We a now pleased to offer hydraulic cylinders, hydraulic motor pumps, and hydraulic hose sets for many different convertibles, they will be listed on your cars page if available. Also, checkout our newly added roof rail weatherstripping seals, front header weatherstripping seals, door weatherstripping seals, trunk weatherstripping seals. Look for extra savings on weatherstripping seals kits.
We are continuing to grow our convertible related products: These include convertible top latches, tonneau covers, relays, switches, rear tacking rails (trimsticks), seat covers, car covers, and carpeting.