Chrysler Sebring 'Easy Install' Tops, 1996-06
Convertible Top and Convertible Top Parts
Chrysler Sebring 'Easy Install' Tops
- Quality: Made to Chrysler specs, 100% fit guarantee.
- Original Configuration: Two piece top, top section and window section
- Original Factory Material: Chrysler Sailcloth Vinyl
- Original Window: Glass or plastic window
- Original Colors: Black, White, Camel, Sandlewood, Beige, Taupe and Seamist Green
- Alternate Materials:Sonnendeck (Twillfast Canvas);Haartz Stayfast Canvas
- Package Specials:Get a Sebring top and everything you need to install it. Our Best Buy packages include a Sebring convertible top in the fabric of your choice, plus new hold down cables, header bowtack strip, staples and glue kit, and an installation manual--all at a discounted price.This package comes with our Convertible Top Installation Guide and an Easy Install addendum.
- Shop with confidence: 5 year manufacturer warranty.
- Hydraulic Components: Hydraulic cylinders, motor pumps and hose sets all available and in stock.
Important InformationOriginal Factory Color(s): Black, White, Camel, Sandlewood, Beige, Taupe and Seamist Green
These tops are specially designed
for the do-it-yourself installer.
First time installers, using our manual
have repeatedly remarked on the feasibility of
do-it-yourself installation of this top.
Instructions are included on request.
Almost all American tops were designed to install in two sections: the main top and the rear window section. This was the rule since the earliest convertibles until Corvette and then Mustang in 2005 finally integrated the two sections. Our factory has taken the integration concept, long overdue, and produced some one piece (pre-integrated) tops. The Sebring top is an example.
Why Is a One Piece Top Advantageous?
The one piece top is much easier to install. There is no integration between the two sections required during installation. There is no tedious alignment and stapling required along the bottom edge of the top to install it, as required for two piece tops. Our belt lines (see the top of the picture and note the plastic welting with the holes) will lay right over the car's belt line studs, automatically align the top and the bolts will hold it into place.
What About Disadvantages?
There is one: you cannot replace just the back window. You have to replace the whole top. We think that for do-it-yourselfers this is not a significant issue because the labor required every few years, if the plastic scratches, would be "donated."
The front of the top attaches to the header bow just as originally designed, as do the intermediate bow listings (flaps); ditto for the hold down cables. The listing above the back window attaches to the rear top bow of the folding frame. This is accomplished with the insertion of a plastic extrusion that is included with the top. The rear base of the top fastens to the car's tacking strip studs; there is no need to staple there as the nuts bind the top into place via the base line welting which is part of our one piece top.
We offer the Sebring one piece top in original Chrysler Sailcloth vinyl.
The pair of hold down cables, a replacement tacking strip for the header bow, top pads, springs for the top pads, and the interior roof covering (the headliner) are all listed. With luck you will not need pads or the tack strip. We recommend cables with each new top. The headliner can be re-installed under the new top if it is clean and not torn.>.
We now stock hydraulic cylinders, motor-pumps, and hoses for your convertible tops. All are made to OEM specifications. Each can be ordered separately; however, when ordering hydraulic cylinders we recommend replacing both. The chances are that both cylinders were manufactured at the same time: if one is on its way out the other may follow. If the top is raised and one hydraulic cylinder is working harder than the other the result over time can lead to a slightly bent convertible top frame. The replacement of both will ensure that the top raises and lowers symmetrically.
Systems for this car take Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and have a 1 year warranty when used with this fluid. Brake fluid should not be used as it voids the warranty.
Just wanted to let you know how you made my 96 Sebring come back to life
with one of your easy to install vinyl tops with the plastic window.
Good instructions. A little patience is all that is needed.
Thanks, G. S., Clarksville, IL
Almost all manufacturers use Haartz fabrics. They may specify "heaviest weight" or "original replacement" in ways that seem reassuring. But they do not really tell the whole story. Please bear in mind that two things dominate, by far, the quality issue: (a) the manufacturing quality control in the factory that makes the top and (b) the care and thoroughness of the installation. There is a trade-off in weight: heavier is better for resisting tear through, but lighter is better for flexibility and abrasion from within that may arise from movement. Almost all our tops are a flexible medium density (36 oz.) fabric. Heavier is not better in most cases. Where it is, because of the top design, we will say so and the top will be made of the heavier vinyl.
- Sonnenland® is a German-made 3-ply topping made up of an acrylic twill-weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a polyester "dobby backing." The dobby backing is a knit-like weave original to many high-end foreign cars. Customers who value originality over cost often pay top dollar for Sonnenland, just to have that authentic "dobby backing," seen only when you look up at the roof of your convertible top from inside your car. Sonnenland canvas is a top-of-the-line material original to various Audi, BMW, and Jaguar convertibles, among others. Sonnenland Canvas can vary in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance, but all Sonnenland Canvas promises elegance and long-lasting durability.
- Twillfast®, also called Sonnendeck Canvas, is an American-made canvas - a cost-effective substitute for Sonnenland. Twillfast is usually a 3-ply topping (though some versions are 5-ply) with Polyester and/or Polyester/cotton backings. This material, original to certain Camaro, BMW, Mustang, and VW Beetle convertibles, among others, varies in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance. Twillfast Canvas is identical to Sonnenland Canvas - elegant and durable - only it's less expensive. This is a top-notch convertible top material, one we often recommend to savvy customers who like a good buy and a quality product.
- Stayfast Canvas is an elegant, durable canvas original to cars like the Mazda Miata and the Nissan 370Z. Stayfast is commonly used in replacement convertible tops. Stayfast canvas has an acrylic square weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a cotton backing. As with other canvases, the rubber core gives the fabric long-lasting durability. Stayfast canvas is a sleek, beautiful canvas, usually less expensive than Twillfast, but it does not have the dobby backing offered in Sonnenland and Twillfast (Sonnendeck). Stayfast is a popular upgrade to vinyl convertible tops, and as with any canvas, is richer looking and has a higher wear rating than convertible tops made of vinyl.
- Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is the most popular fabric. This vinyl design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. Pinpoint refers to the little dots or pips that you see if you look closely at the vinyl surface. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
- Chrysler Sailcloth is featured on many late LeBarons, Sebrings, certain Mustangs and other cars. It is structurally (wear quality) equivalent to the Haartz Pinpoint but has a different surface grain. The grain was designed to imitate the look of canvas. As you can see from the scan of this fabric, it is an exceptionally rich looking material. It is sometimes chosen for replacing convertible tops that originally featured pinpoint vinyl.
- Cabrio Grain is also structurally equivalent to the pinpoint. It has a pigskin outer grain vinyl as original to Volkswagen Cabriolets from 1984 onward and to Mazda Miatas and Mercury Capris.
- A5S German Canvas (Robbins) The 100% Acrylic Twill Weave Surface Cloth receives a special flame singing treatment to remove the fabric knap; and is laminated to Black 100% Polyester Dobby backing.
This is the original topping for Porsche Boxster and Cabrio convertible tops. 59 inches (150 cm) wide, made in Germany.
- British Bison Vinyl is the most popular British roadster convertible top material. It is American made Haartz leather grain vinyl and is an imitation of the British Everflex vinyl top fabric. The British Bison Vinyl convertible top fabric is often referred to as 'crush grain.'
- British Everflex Vinyl We are now pleased to offer British Everflex Vinyl for classic English tops. This is the original material used on British convertibles including Jaguar, Rolls Royce and many others. Imported from England, British Everflex vinyl is a supple vinyl with a rich appearance and is more durable than other vinyls. A good, less expensive alternative is Colonial grain vinyl. Colonial has the same texture but is less durable.
- HV Denim (also called Twill Weave Vinyl) is heavy duty sport material composed of a distinctive twill grain PVC outer layer and a polyester/cotton blend inside lining fabric.
- Trilogy Acoustic Vinyl A heavyweight vinyl that is often used on SUVs like Jeep, because the two-ply composite has the capacity to reduce noise by about 20 percent compared to standard vinyls like Sailcloth. The vinyl material is durable, promises long-lasting wear-and-tear, and resembles the sleek twill cloth commonly found on luxury convertible cars.
- Haartz Twillfast RPC This American-made canvas has a twill weave pattern and resembles German-made Sonnenland canvas. It is a great all-purpose canvas and, according to Haartz, is used on 99 percent of convertibles. It is stronger and more durable than Stayfast Canvas and offers more sound protection. Haartz rates Twillfast RPC as a mid-level acoustic product, compared to the low-level sound reduction offered on other top materials like Stayfast
Parts in this category (Chrysler Sebring 'Easy Install' Tops) fit cars for years: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006.