Mazda Miata, "Easy Install", One Piece Convertible Tops, 1989-97
Convertible Top and Convertible Top Parts
- Quality: Made to Mazda specs,100% fit guarantee.
- Original Configuration: Two pieces: top and window
- Easy Install Configuration:The one-piece tops on this page have been designed to install easily and last for years.
- Original Factory Material: Cabrio Vinyl
- Original Window: Plastic or Glass
- Original Colors: Black & Mazda Tan
- Alternate Materials: Haartz Stayfast Canvas
- Package Specials:Our Best Buy Mazda Miata convertible top packages include a Miata top and everything you need to install it. Order a money-saving package and you'll get a Miata convertible top, new hold down cables, a 4-ounce can of professional-grade contact cement, and a profusely illustrated Mazda Miata convertible top installation manual, which will walk you through the process beginning to end!
- Shop with confidence: 6 year manufacturer warranty.
- NEW! NOW OFFERING MIATA SHEET METAL. CLICK HERE TO SEE OUR SELECTION.
Important InformationOriginal Factory Color(s): Black, Mazda Tan and Light Tan
Our "Easy Install" Miata tops take the usual do-it-yourself installation and make it much easier! We have written a very detailed illustrated do-it-yourself installation manual to take you through your own Miata top installation.
These tops have been designed to facilitate easy installation without compromising the integrity and the durability of the completed top.
We have eliminated the zipper, used to open the dealer and dealer-replica tops. We have provided a sealed-in window, which comes in plastic or glass. The top can be lowered without the need to manage a zipper above the window. We have also simplified the attachment of the top at the rear pillars (the area behind the side windows.)
This design had been extensively field tested, through hundreds of tops that we have sold over the years. We've incorporated tweaks, based on our field experience. The result is are an economical, easy-to-install convertible top that will give years of use.
There is no stapling or sewing involved in the installation of this top. Some contact cement work is required. Bolts must be installed, and also either aluminum pop rivets or sheet metal screws at the rear pillars. Velcro attachment in selected areas further simplifies matters. New cables must be riveted in place with a pair of aluminum pop rivets. Our manual even has a tutorial on applying pop rivets. All steps are covered in the profusely illustrated installation manual.
Do I Need New Hold Down Cables?We strongly recommend using a pair of new hold down cables with stainless-steel end plates. These replace the old plastic tab plates. For the most savings, consider one of our package specials, which include the top (in your choice of fabric), a pair of cables, a half pint of trimmer contact cement, and the installation manual.
How do I choose a Mazda Miata Convertible Top Fabric?Mazda Miata convertible tops are offered in two fabrics: Cabrio Grain Vinyl and Haartz Stayfast Canvas. Here's what you need to know about each one:
Cabrio Grain Vinyl: Our most popular Miata top is the original Cabrio Vinyl, which comes in original Mazda Miata convertible top colors. Cabrio Grain Vinyl is a two-ply composite vinyl with a distinct pigskin outer grain and cotton inner lining. This reliable vinyl is original to the Mazda Miata, the Mercury Capri, and the Volkswagen Cabriolet and comes with a 5-year manufacturer warranty.
Haartz Stayfast Canvas: If you're looking to upgrade your vinyl top, consider a Mazda Miata convertible top made of Haartz Stayfast Canvas. This fabric is the American substitute for the German canvases used in Mercedes, Porsche, and BMW. Haartz Stayfast Canvas is a three-ply composite made of an acrylic square weave outer fabric, a butyl rubber core, and a cotton lining. The butyl rubber core promises to make Haartz Stayfast Canvas last a very long time. This canvas Mazda Miata top is a little richer looking than the vinyl. It's also a little harder to clean. Stayfast Canvas has both better static and dynamic wear ratings than Miata vinyl tops.
Do I need new rain rails if I'm replacing my top? The rain rail, or gutter, at the base of the top guides water into drains at the base of the rear wheels. A new rain rail is required in a top replacement only when the current one is damaged. Most often, you can clean off your original rain rail and apply it to your new top.
Keep in mind, the rain rail was originally riveted to the base of the top to facilitate transporting. It is not necessary to rivet the rain rail to the new top as this serves no functional purpose! So, if you need a new rain rail, it's easiest to purchase it separately.
Typically, a factory rain rail will last through three or more tops. We offer durable rain rail replacements, as well as an Economy Rain Rail, which functions as well, but is lighter duty. It's made of thinner vinyl with baseline reinforcement plastic. It should last for two tops. Click here to start shopping.
What do other Mazda Miata owners say about Convertible Top Guys?
Just a quick note saying "thanks" for a great product. I received my Miata top earlier this week and installed it today. Took me about 7 hours but I've got a super looking top that fits like a glove. Your instructions are not only very accurate, but supportive in the little details, like keeping hands clean with a light colored top (mine is tan) and using the fork for the clips. I was able to reuse every clip I removed. The construction and material look to be very durable. I'll recommend your company to my other Miata friends.
Ted M., Lenoir, NC
Your roof arrived, and I have installed it. Awesome product, everything you said it was.
Very happy with the finished product. Looks great.
Chris E., Burlington, Ont. Canada
Almost all manufacturers use Haartz fabrics. They may specify "heaviest weight" or "original replacement" in ways that seem reassuring. But they do not really tell the whole story. Please bear in mind that two things dominate, by far, the quality issue: (a) the manufacturing quality control in the factory that makes the top and (b) the care and thoroughness of the installation. There is a trade-off in weight: heavier is better for resisting tear through, but lighter is better for flexibility and abrasion from within that may arise from movement. Almost all our tops are a flexible medium density (36 oz.) fabric. Heavier is not better in most cases. Where it is, because of the top design, we will say so and the top will be made of the heavier vinyl.
- Sonnenland® is a German-made 3-ply topping made up of an acrylic twill-weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a polyester "dobby backing." The dobby backing is a knit-like weave original to many high-end foreign cars. Customers who value originality over cost often pay top dollar for Sonnenland, just to have that authentic "dobby backing," seen only when you look up at the roof of your convertible top from inside your car. Sonnenland canvas is a top-of-the-line material original to various Audi, BMW, and Jaguar convertibles, among others. Sonnenland Canvas can vary in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance, but all Sonnenland Canvas promises elegance and long-lasting durability.
- Twillfast®, also called Sonnendeck Canvas, is an American-made canvas - a cost-effective substitute for Sonnenland. Twillfast is usually a 3-ply topping (though some versions are 5-ply) with Polyester and/or Polyester/cotton backings. This material, original to certain Camaro, BMW, Mustang, and VW Beetle convertibles, among others, varies in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance. Twillfast Canvas is identical to Sonnenland Canvas - elegant and durable - only it's less expensive. This is a top-notch convertible top material, one we often recommend to savvy customers who like a good buy and a quality product.
- Stayfast Canvas is an elegant, durable canvas original to cars like the Mazda Miata and the Nissan 370Z. Stayfast is commonly used in replacement convertible tops. Stayfast canvas has an acrylic square weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a cotton backing. As with other canvases, the rubber core gives the fabric long-lasting durability. Stayfast canvas is a sleek, beautiful canvas, usually less expensive than Twillfast, but it does not have the dobby backing offered in Sonnenland and Twillfast (Sonnendeck). Stayfast is a popular upgrade to vinyl convertible tops, and as with any canvas, is richer looking and has a higher wear rating than convertible tops made of vinyl.
- Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is the most popular fabric. This vinyl design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. Pinpoint refers to the little dots or pips that you see if you look closely at the vinyl surface. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
- Chrysler Sailcloth is featured on many late LeBarons, Sebrings, certain Mustangs and other cars. It is structurally (wear quality) equivalent to the Haartz Pinpoint but has a different surface grain. The grain was designed to imitate the look of canvas. As you can see from the scan of this fabric, it is an exceptionally rich looking material. It is sometimes chosen for replacing convertible tops that originally featured pinpoint vinyl.
- Cabrio Grain is also structurally equivalent to the pinpoint. It has a pigskin outer grain vinyl as original to Volkswagen Cabriolets from 1984 onward and to Mazda Miatas and Mercury Capris.
- A5S German Canvas (Robbins) The 100% Acrylic Twill Weave Surface Cloth receives a special flame singing treatment to remove the fabric knap; and is laminated to Black 100% Polyester Dobby backing.
This is the original topping for Porsche Boxster and Cabrio convertible tops. 59 inches (150 cm) wide, made in Germany.
- British Bison Vinyl is the most popular British roadster convertible top material. It is American made Haartz leather grain vinyl and is an imitation of the British Everflex vinyl top fabric. The British Bison Vinyl convertible top fabric is often referred to as 'crush grain.'
- British Everflex Vinyl We are now pleased to offer British Everflex Vinyl for classic English tops. This is the original material used on British convertibles including Jaguar, Rolls Royce and many others. Imported from England, British Everflex vinyl is a supple vinyl with a rich appearance and is more durable than other vinyls. A good, less expensive alternative is Colonial grain vinyl. Colonial has the same texture but is less durable.
- HV Denim (also called Twill Weave Vinyl) is heavy duty sport material composed of a distinctive twill grain PVC outer layer and a polyester/cotton blend inside lining fabric.
- Trilogy Acoustic Vinyl A heavyweight vinyl that is often used on SUVs like Jeep, because the two-ply composite has the capacity to reduce noise by about 20 percent compared to standard vinyls like Sailcloth. The vinyl material is durable, promises long-lasting wear-and-tear, and resembles the sleek twill cloth commonly found on luxury convertible cars.
- Haartz Twillfast RPC This American-made canvas has a twill weave pattern and resembles German-made Sonnenland canvas. It is a great all-purpose canvas and, according to Haartz, is used on 99 percent of convertibles. It is stronger and more durable than Stayfast Canvas and offers more sound protection. Haartz rates Twillfast RPC as a mid-level acoustic product, compared to the low-level sound reduction offered on other top materials like Stayfast
Parts in this category (Mazda Miata, "Easy Install", One Piece Convertible Tops) fit cars for years: 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997.