Nissan 350Z, 2003-2009
Convertible Top and Convertible Top Parts
Nissan 350Z Convertible Top Information:
- Quality: Made to original specs, 100% fit guarantee.
- Original Configuration: One piece top, with defroster glass window heat sealed into pocket for added strength. Original factory style plastic retainers. Bow tension straps included.
- Original Factory Material: Twill Weave Vinyl is original, in black and blue. Haartz Stayfast canvas is an upgrade.
- All seams are doubly electronically welded and sewn for added reinforcement. Convertible top fabrics are mildew & mold resistant, and UV treated for color fastness.
- Installation: A handy and meticulous person using our manual should be able to complete this restoration in about 5 or 6 hours. To locate a nearby professional installer enter "automobile upholstery shops near me" in your browser search bar.
- Warranty: Factory warranty is 6 years.
Important InformationOriginal Factory Color(s): Black
One piece convertible top. Black bezel window welt, factory style retainers. This replacement top is based entirely on original dealer Nissan 350Z convertible top geometry and details.
Original Material(s):The Nissan 350Z convertible top fabric was originally HV Denim also known as Twill Weave Grain Vinyl.
This convertible top fabric is a vinyl material composed of a
so-called "twill grain" PVC outer layer and a polyester/cotton blend inside lining fabric.
Haartz Stayfast Canvas:A great Nissan 350Z convertible top fabric is Haartz Stayfast Canvas. This convertible top fabric has a canvas outer layer and a preshrunk cotton inner layer.
The two top layers are bonded with and separated by a butyl rubber core. It is this core that makes this convertible top fabric last a very long time, with both better static and dynamic wear ratings than vinyl toppings.
Haartz Stayfast is the American substitute for the German canvases used in Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, some models of Mustang and Lebaron and other convertible top.
Canvas is widely regarded as "richer looking" than vinyl. It is a little harder to clean. The inside of the top is pre-shrunk cotton. The inner lining is usually black.
Other Alternate Materials: German Sonnenland Canvas, Haartz Pinpoint vinyl.
Note that the installation quality of the Nissan 350Z convertible top is at least an important factor in the wear rating of your new 350Z top as the fabric chosen.
We can supply a Nissan 350Z convertible top replacment in your choice of convertible top fabric.
Other Convertible Top Fabrics: German Sonnenland Canvas is the original German made canvas used in some Mercedes, Porsche, BMW and other convertibles. It's general construction is very similar to Haartz Stayfast canvas soft top fabric. It is hard to tell the surfaces apart among the three soft top canvased used. The manufacturing specifications make Sonnenland the longest lasting convertible top fabric.
Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is the most popular convertible top fabric used in original and in replacement convertible top. This convertible top vinyl design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
Window: The original Nissan 350Z convertible had a glass window with defroster.
Estimated Professional Installation Time:If you take your Nissan 350Z to a "top shop" expect to be billed at about 7 hours.
Do It Yourself Installation: We believe that the installation of a Nissan 350Z convertible top is well within the province of a patient handy person and is thoroughly covered by our Nissan 350Z convertible top installation instruction manual. Hold down cables may be vital to replace in a 350Z top which has been raised and lowered a significant number of times. We carry an American made reproduction of the dealer convertible top hold down cables. Cables are installed (per our 350Z manual) into the side hems of the new 350Z convertible top and attach the top at the front corners and back along the convertible top folding frame. Nissan 350Z side hold down cables are available separately or are within our Nissan 350Z convertible top packages.
Our Nissan 350Z convertible top install manual is a 22 page, well illustrated (8 1/2 x 11) booklet. The installation of a replacement 350Z convertible top does not involve any stapling or glue work. The new Nissan top is installed with rivets (pop rivets which are included in our Nissan 350Z do-it-yourself packages) and with reinstalled screws and bolts taken from the original Nissan convertible top and applied in the new 350Z soft top. Two sided tape (also included in our 350Z top packages) is used in a couple of areas to secure the new soft top to the frame.
We believe that the installation of a Nissan 350Z convertible top is well within the province of a patient handy person and is thoroughly covered by our Nissan 350Z convertible top installation instruction manual.
Hold down cables may be vital to replace in a 350Z top which has been raised and lowered a significant number of times. We carry an American made reproduction of the dealer convertible top hold down cables. Cables are installed (per our 350Z manual) into the side hems of the new 350Z convertible top and attach the top at the front corners and back along the convertible top folding frame. Nissan 350Z side hold down cables are available separately or are within our Nissan 350Z convertible top packages.
Almost all manufacturers use Haartz fabrics. They may specify "heaviest weight" or "original replacement" in ways that seem reassuring. But they do not really tell the whole story. Please bear in mind that two things dominate, by far, the quality issue: (a) the manufacturing quality control in the factory that makes the top and (b) the care and thoroughness of the installation. There is a trade-off in weight: heavier is better for resisting tear through, but lighter is better for flexibility and abrasion from within that may arise from movement. Almost all our tops are a flexible medium density (36 oz.) fabric. Heavier is not better in most cases. Where it is, because of the top design, we will say so and the top will be made of the heavier vinyl.
- Sonnenland® is a German-made 3-ply topping made up of an acrylic twill-weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a polyester "dobby backing." The dobby backing is a knit-like weave original to many high-end foreign cars. Customers who value originality over cost often pay top dollar for Sonnenland, just to have that authentic "dobby backing," seen only when you look up at the roof of your convertible top from inside your car. Sonnenland canvas is a top-of-the-line material original to various Audi, BMW, and Jaguar convertibles, among others. Sonnenland Canvas can vary in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance, but all Sonnenland Canvas promises elegance and long-lasting durability.
- Twillfast®, also called Sonnendeck Canvas, is an American-made canvas - a cost-effective substitute for Sonnenland. Twillfast is usually a 3-ply topping (though some versions are 5-ply) with Polyester and/or Polyester/cotton backings. This material, original to certain Camaro, BMW, Mustang, and VW Beetle convertibles, among others, varies in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance. Twillfast Canvas is identical to Sonnenland Canvas - elegant and durable - only it's less expensive. This is a top-notch convertible top material, one we often recommend to savvy customers who like a good buy and a quality product.
- Stayfast Canvas is an elegant, durable canvas original to cars like the Mazda Miata and the Nissan 370Z. Stayfast is commonly used in replacement convertible tops. Stayfast canvas has an acrylic square weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a cotton backing. As with other canvases, the rubber core gives the fabric long-lasting durability. Stayfast canvas is a sleek, beautiful canvas, usually less expensive than Twillfast, but it does not have the dobby backing offered in Sonnenland and Twillfast (Sonnendeck). Stayfast is a popular upgrade to vinyl convertible tops, and as with any canvas, is richer looking and has a higher wear rating than convertible tops made of vinyl.
- Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is the most popular fabric. This vinyl design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. Pinpoint refers to the little dots or pips that you see if you look closely at the vinyl surface. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
- Chrysler Sailcloth is featured on many late LeBarons, Sebrings, certain Mustangs and other cars. It is structurally (wear quality) equivalent to the Haartz Pinpoint but has a different surface grain. The grain was designed to imitate the look of canvas. As you can see from the scan of this fabric, it is an exceptionally rich looking material. It is sometimes chosen for replacing convertible tops that originally featured pinpoint vinyl.
- Cabrio Grain is also structurally equivalent to the pinpoint. It has a pigskin outer grain vinyl as original to Volkswagen Cabriolets from 1984 onward and to Mazda Miatas and Mercury Capris.
- A5S German Canvas (Robbins) The 100% Acrylic Twill Weave Surface Cloth receives a special flame singing treatment to remove the fabric knap; and is laminated to Black 100% Polyester Dobby backing.
This is the original topping for Porsche Boxster and Cabrio convertible tops. 59 inches (150 cm) wide, made in Germany.
- British Bison Vinyl is the most popular British roadster convertible top material. It is American made Haartz leather grain vinyl and is an imitation of the British Everflex vinyl top fabric. The British Bison Vinyl convertible top fabric is often referred to as 'crush grain.'
- British Everflex Vinyl We are now pleased to offer British Everflex Vinyl for classic English tops. This is the original material used on British convertibles including Jaguar, Rolls Royce and many others. Imported from England, British Everflex vinyl is a supple vinyl with a rich appearance and is more durable than other vinyls. A good, less expensive alternative is Colonial grain vinyl. Colonial has the same texture but is less durable.
- HV Denim (also called Twill Weave Vinyl) is heavy duty sport material composed of a distinctive twill grain PVC outer layer and a polyester/cotton blend inside lining fabric.
- Trilogy Acoustic Vinyl A heavyweight vinyl that is often used on SUVs like Jeep, because the two-ply composite has the capacity to reduce noise by about 20 percent compared to standard vinyls like Sailcloth. The vinyl material is durable, promises long-lasting wear-and-tear, and resembles the sleek twill cloth commonly found on luxury convertible cars.
- Haartz Twillfast RPC This American-made canvas has a twill weave pattern and resembles German-made Sonnenland canvas. It is a great all-purpose canvas and, according to Haartz, is used on 99 percent of convertibles. It is stronger and more durable than Stayfast Canvas and offers more sound protection. Haartz rates Twillfast RPC as a mid-level acoustic product, compared to the low-level sound reduction offered on other top materials like Stayfast
Parts in this category (Nissan 350Z) fit cars for years: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.