Mazda Miata and Miata MX5 Shinsen, Factory Style, Two Piece Convertible Tops, 1999-05
Convertible Top and Convertible Top Parts
- Quality: Made to Mazda specs, 100% fit guarantee.
- Original Configuration: Two-piece top, top section and window section
- Original Factory Material: Cabrio vinyl
- Original Window: Plastic or glass window.
- Original Colors: Black & Mazda Tan
- Alternate Materials: Haartz stayfast canvas
- Package Specials:Our Best Buy Mazda Miata convertible top packages include a Miata top and everything you need to install it. Order a money-saving package and you'll get a Miata convertible top, new hold down cables, a 4-ounce can of professional-grade contact cement, and a profusely illustrated Mazda Miata convertible top installation manual, which will walk you through the process beginning to end!
- Shop with confidence: 5 year manufacturer warranty.
- NEW! NOW OFFERING MIATA SHEET METAL! CLICK HERE TO SEE OUR SELECTION.
Important InformationOriginal Factory Color(s): Black, Mazda Tan and Light Tan
The original Mazda Miata convertible top fabric was 'cabrio' vinyl.
The original colors are Black #1002, Mazda Tan #1414 and Saddle #1717.
Non-original colors may be subject to an extra charge.
Occasionally Miata convertible top restorers are selecting the Haartz Stayfast canvas fabric.
This is featured on Mercedes and other German cars and is an elegant and super durable fabric.
The Rain Rail (Gutter):
The rain rail, at the base of the top, guides water into drains near the rear wheels.
A new rain rail is required in a top replacement only when the current one is apparently damaged.
Most often the old rain rail can be cleaned and applied with the new top.
Original riveting of the rain rail to the base of the top was done to facilitate transporting.
It is not necessary to rivet the rain rail to the new top as this serves no functional purpose!
It will therefore be easier if a new rain rail is required, to purchase it separately.
Typically a factory quality rain rail will last through three or more tops.
We offer durable rain rail replacements, listed with accessories.
We also offer an Economy Rain Rail which functions as well but is "lighter duty."
It is made of thinner vinyl with base line reinforcement plastic. It should last for two tops.
Zipper vs No Zipper Window:
The original Miata top' rear window was plastic and could be lowered while the top was up.
The design permitted replacement of the window without removing the top.
There are aftermarket plastic window replacments. However they require sewing a special
half zipper to the top in order to use them.
Modern replacement tops with zippered windows do not allow complete window removal and replacement.
They do allow the driver to keep the top up and the window down.
We offer tops with zip down windows and with fixed windows.
The fixed window tops that we offer allow the top to fold down without needing to unzip the window.
In order to accomplish this we made the circumference of the back window just one inch smaller
than the original factory specifications, and moved the window down a fraction of an inch.
This prevents the window from encroaching on the roll bar.
These non-zip tops are our best sellers: they work beautifully, are less expensive,
and we have sold hundreds of them (and most have been owner installed!.)
These are our tops with non-zippered rear windows. They are available with
either plastic or with glass rear window.
We have used the name 'Econo' to simplify the product description. 'Econo' tops
are made uncompromisingly with state of the art computer assisted cutting of patterns,
electronic welding of seams, and all other quality manufacturing processes;
and carry our full five year warranty. The difference is the elimination of the zipper
and the unnoticeable window size modification. Econo tops are available with either plastic
or glass rear window. And we offer the Econo top with a defroster glass rear window.
Zipper Window Tops:
For those who want to be able to lower the back window while the top is up we offer
zippered back window tops, in both plastic and glass. These windows must be unzipped in order
to lower the top, as was originally the case.
Hold down cables:
There is one cable on each side of the car embedded in the top.
The cables fasten the top (front and rear on each side) to the frame and provide variable tension
to the top sides as it is raised and lowered.
New cables have stainless steel plates replacing the original plastic ones.
Our step by step, Miata top instruction booklet covers all the steps in the removal of the old top
and the installation of the new top. Typical installation time for a
first time installer who is "handy" is 5-6 hours. Our manual is a profusely illustrated
step-by step 24 page 8 1/2 x 11 booklet that should lead the handy person
through a full restoration.
Just a quick note saying "thanks" for a great product. I received my Miata Econo top earlier this week
and installed it today. Took me about 7 hours but I've got a super looking top that fits like a glove.
Your instructions are not only very accurate, but supportive in the little details
like keeping hands clean with a light colored top (mine is tan) and using the fork for the clips.
I was able to reuse every clip I removed. The construction and material look to be very durable.
I'll recommend your company to my other Miata friends.
I wanted to let you know just how impressed I was with your product and service. I recently bought and installed a new top for my '97 Miata. I was all set to go with a brand from Miata site I order from a lot but then I found your site and you were about $100 less and then saved me more money with the side cables and economy rain rail. Given the savings, I thought I would give you a try. I ordered on-line and received my top the next day! (of coures I live in CT). The installation went well, no issues with fit and the directions were very helpful (if you take the time to read them in advance) and using the fork as a button removal tool was key. The whole thing took about 4 hours and it looks great. Thanks for a great product!
M.L. Wilton, Ct.
Installed black canvas top on my 1999. Installation very smooth and looks awesome!
Blake T., Bowling Green, Ky.
Almost all manufacturers use Haartz fabrics. They may specify "heaviest weight" or "original replacement" in ways that seem reassuring. But they do not really tell the whole story. Please bear in mind that two things dominate, by far, the quality issue: (a) the manufacturing quality control in the factory that makes the top and (b) the care and thoroughness of the installation. There is a trade-off in weight: heavier is better for resisting tear through, but lighter is better for flexibility and abrasion from within that may arise from movement. Almost all our tops are a flexible medium density (36 oz.) fabric. Heavier is not better in most cases. Where it is, because of the top design, we will say so and the top will be made of the heavier vinyl.
- Sonnenland® is a German-made 3-ply topping made up of an acrylic twill-weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a polyester "dobby backing." The dobby backing is a knit-like weave original to many high-end foreign cars. Customers who value originality over cost often pay top dollar for Sonnenland, just to have that authentic "dobby backing," seen only when you look up at the roof of your convertible top from inside your car. Sonnenland canvas is a top-of-the-line material original to various Audi, BMW, and Jaguar convertibles, among others. Sonnenland Canvas can vary in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance, but all Sonnenland Canvas promises elegance and long-lasting durability.
- Twillfast®, also called Sonnendeck Canvas, is an American-made canvas - a cost-effective substitute for Sonnenland. Twillfast is usually a 3-ply topping (though some versions are 5-ply) with Polyester and/or Polyester/cotton backings. This material, original to certain Camaro, BMW, Mustang, and VW Beetle convertibles, among others, varies in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance. Twillfast Canvas is identical to Sonnenland Canvas - elegant and durable - only it's less expensive. This is a top-notch convertible top material, one we often recommend to savvy customers who like a good buy and a quality product.
- Stayfast Canvas is an elegant, durable canvas original to cars like the Mazda Miata and the Nissan 370Z. Stayfast is commonly used in replacement convertible tops. Stayfast canvas has an acrylic square weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a cotton backing. As with other canvases, the rubber core gives the fabric long-lasting durability. Stayfast canvas is a sleek, beautiful canvas, usually less expensive than Twillfast, but it does not have the dobby backing offered in Sonnenland and Twillfast (Sonnendeck). Stayfast is a popular upgrade to vinyl convertible tops, and as with any canvas, is richer looking and has a higher wear rating than convertible tops made of vinyl.
- Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is the most popular fabric. This vinyl design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. Pinpoint refers to the little dots or pips that you see if you look closely at the vinyl surface. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
- Chrysler Sailcloth is featured on many late LeBarons, Sebrings, certain Mustangs and other cars. It is structurally (wear quality) equivalent to the Haartz Pinpoint but has a different surface grain. The grain was designed to imitate the look of canvas. As you can see from the scan of this fabric, it is an exceptionally rich looking material. It is sometimes chosen for replacing convertible tops that originally featured pinpoint vinyl.
- Cabrio Grain is also structurally equivalent to the pinpoint. It has a pigskin outer grain vinyl as original to Volkswagen Cabriolets from 1984 onward and to Mazda Miatas and Mercury Capris.
- A5S German Canvas (Robbins) The 100% Acrylic Twill Weave Surface Cloth receives a special flame singing treatment to remove the fabric knap; and is laminated to Black 100% Polyester Dobby backing.
This is the original topping for Porsche Boxster and Cabrio convertible tops. 59 inches (150 cm) wide, made in Germany.
- British Bison Vinyl is the most popular British roadster convertible top material. It is American made Haartz leather grain vinyl and is an imitation of the British Everflex vinyl top fabric. The British Bison Vinyl convertible top fabric is often referred to as 'crush grain.'
- British Everflex Vinyl We are now pleased to offer British Everflex Vinyl for classic English tops. This is the original material used on British convertibles including Jaguar, Rolls Royce and many others. Imported from England, British Everflex vinyl is a supple vinyl with a rich appearance and is more durable than other vinyls. A good, less expensive alternative is Colonial grain vinyl. Colonial has the same texture but is less durable.
- HV Denim (also called Twill Weave Vinyl) is heavy duty sport material composed of a distinctive twill grain PVC outer layer and a polyester/cotton blend inside lining fabric.
- Trilogy Acoustic Vinyl A heavyweight vinyl that is often used on SUVs like Jeep, because the two-ply composite has the capacity to reduce noise by about 20 percent compared to standard vinyls like Sailcloth. The vinyl material is durable, promises long-lasting wear-and-tear, and resembles the sleek twill cloth commonly found on luxury convertible cars.
- Haartz Twillfast RPC This American-made canvas has a twill weave pattern and resembles German-made Sonnenland canvas. It is a great all-purpose canvas and, according to Haartz, is used on 99 percent of convertibles. It is stronger and more durable than Stayfast Canvas and offers more sound protection. Haartz rates Twillfast RPC as a mid-level acoustic product, compared to the low-level sound reduction offered on other top materials like Stayfast
Parts in this category (Mazda Miata and Miata MX5 Shinsen, Factory Style, Two Piece Convertible Tops) fit cars for years: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005.