Chevrolet Corvette, 1994-96
Convertible Top and Convertible Top Parts
- Quality: Made to Original specs, 100% fit guarantee.
- Original Factory Material: Haartz stayfast canvas and pinpoint vinyl.
- Original Window: Glass window with or without defroster.
- Original Colors: Black, Tan, Dark Ruby(Dark Cherry), Driftwood and GM Bright White.
- All seams are doubly electronically welded and sewn for added reinforcement. Convertible top fabrics are mildew & mold resistant, and UV treated for color fastness. Plastic windows are DOT rated heavy 40-gauge thick vinyl.
- Shop with confidence: 6 year manufacturer warranty.
Important InformationOriginal Factory Color(s): Black, Tan, Dark Ruby, Driftwood and GM Bright White
The original dealer soft tops on Corvettes of this period were Haartz Stayfast Canvas and Chrysler sailcloth vinyl. .
The original rear windows were glass with built in defroster.
Chyrsler Sailcloth vinyl:
Later Corvette models introduced the Chrysler Sailcloth vinyl as an original topping. The physical properties, and longevity, of the Chrysler Sailcloth vinyl are identical to the pinpoint's. The Sailcloth vinyl has an outer texture (the vinyl coating) that is designed to emulate canvas. Although not original to these years, we are offering Chrysler Sailcloth vinyl tops as replacements.
Importance of Three Layer Tops:
Haartz Stayfast canvas is a three layer top with a butyl rubber central layer. Special Chrysler Sailcloth tops and Haartz pinpoint vinyl tops are also made with this core. We recommend, for this top, that only three layer fabrics be used. This will maximize the wear. The heavy glass rear window will cause premature wear in a standard two layer vinyl top.
Our replacement headliner, in black cloth like the original, is offered as an 'accessory.' The existing headliner may be retained, if in good condition, during a top restoration. Our headliner includes the fabric section below the rear window.
Hold down cables:
Cables are threaded through the top's inner side hems (the cable pockets.) They hold the top to the frame at the front corners and near the upper rear corners. New cables are recommended with each top.
The top is "padded out" along its sides with special webbing. Pads should last through at least two tops.
A few top packages are listed. We can also quote on packages for you in any fabric and configuration. Please inquire: list the items you wish and we will quote for you. Contact us at email@example.com.
This top installs with retaining hardware and with contact cement. The pads require stapling (use of staple gun). There is no sewing.
A difficulty encountered in installation is the removal and retention, without loss, of existing seals. This requires use of solvent to assist their careful removal.
Our illustrated manual provides step by step instructions for removing the old top and headliner and for the installation of new top and headliner. It is packaged with our specials and also available, on request, to those who order our top.
Almost all manufacturers use Haartz fabrics. They may specify "heaviest weight" or "original replacement" in ways that seem reassuring. But they do not really tell the whole story. Please bear in mind that two things dominate, by far, the quality issue: (a) the manufacturing quality control in the factory that makes the top and (b) the care and thoroughness of the installation. There is a trade-off in weight: heavier is better for resisting tear through, but lighter is better for flexibility and abrasion from within that may arise from movement. Almost all our tops are a flexible medium density (36 oz.) fabric. Heavier is not better in most cases. Where it is, because of the top design, we will say so and the top will be made of the heavier vinyl.
- Sonnenland® is a German-made 3-ply topping made up of an acrylic twill-weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a polyester "dobby backing." The dobby backing is a knit-like weave original to many high-end foreign cars. Customers who value originality over cost often pay top dollar for Sonnenland, just to have that authentic "dobby backing," seen only when you look up at the roof of your convertible top from inside your car. Sonnenland canvas is a top-of-the-line material original to various Audi, BMW, and Jaguar convertibles, among others. Sonnenland Canvas can vary in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance, but all Sonnenland Canvas promises elegance and long-lasting durability.
- Twillfast®, also called Sonnendeck Canvas, is an American-made canvas - a cost-effective substitute for Sonnenland. Twillfast is usually a 3-ply topping (though some versions are 5-ply) with Polyester and/or Polyester/cotton backings. This material, original to certain Camaro, BMW, Mustang, and VW Beetle convertibles, among others, varies in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance. Twillfast Canvas is identical to Sonnenland Canvas - elegant and durable - only it's less expensive. This is a top-notch convertible top material, one we often recommend to savvy customers who like a good buy and a quality product.
- Stayfast Canvas is an elegant, durable canvas original to cars like the Mazda Miata and the Nissan 370Z. Stayfast is commonly used in replacement convertible tops. Stayfast canvas has an acrylic square weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a cotton backing. As with other canvases, the rubber core gives the fabric long-lasting durability. Stayfast canvas is a sleek, beautiful canvas, usually less expensive than Twillfast, but it does not have the dobby backing offered in Sonnenland and Twillfast (Sonnendeck). Stayfast is a popular upgrade to vinyl convertible tops, and as with any canvas, is richer looking and has a higher wear rating than convertible tops made of vinyl.
- Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is the most popular fabric. This vinyl design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. Pinpoint refers to the little dots or pips that you see if you look closely at the vinyl surface. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
- Chrysler Sailcloth is featured on many late LeBarons, Sebrings, certain Mustangs and other cars. It is structurally (wear quality) equivalent to the Haartz Pinpoint but has a different surface grain. The grain was designed to imitate the look of canvas. As you can see from the scan of this fabric, it is an exceptionally rich looking material. It is sometimes chosen for replacing convertible tops that originally featured pinpoint vinyl.
- Cabrio Grain is also structurally equivalent to the pinpoint. It has a pigskin outer grain vinyl as original to Volkswagen Cabriolets from 1984 onward and to Mazda Miatas and Mercury Capris.
- A5S German Canvas (Robbins) The 100% Acrylic Twill Weave Surface Cloth receives a special flame singing treatment to remove the fabric knap; and is laminated to Black 100% Polyester Dobby backing.
This is the original topping for Porsche Boxster and Cabrio convertible tops. 59 inches (150 cm) wide, made in Germany.
- British Bison Vinyl is the most popular British roadster convertible top material. It is American made Haartz leather grain vinyl and is an imitation of the British Everflex vinyl top fabric. The British Bison Vinyl convertible top fabric is often referred to as 'crush grain.'
- British Everflex Vinyl We are now pleased to offer British Everflex Vinyl for classic English tops. This is the original material used on British convertibles including Jaguar, Rolls Royce and many others. Imported from England, British Everflex vinyl is a supple vinyl with a rich appearance and is more durable than other vinyls. A good, less expensive alternative is Colonial grain vinyl. Colonial has the same texture but is less durable.
- HV Denim (also called Twill Weave Vinyl) is heavy duty sport material composed of a distinctive twill grain PVC outer layer and a polyester/cotton blend inside lining fabric.
- Trilogy Acoustic Vinyl A heavyweight vinyl that is often used on SUVs like Jeep, because the two-ply composite has the capacity to reduce noise by about 20 percent compared to standard vinyls like Sailcloth. The vinyl material is durable, promises long-lasting wear-and-tear, and resembles the sleek twill cloth commonly found on luxury convertible cars.
- Haartz Twillfast RPC This American-made canvas has a twill weave pattern and resembles German-made Sonnenland canvas. It is a great all-purpose canvas and, according to Haartz, is used on 99 percent of convertibles. It is stronger and more durable than Stayfast Canvas and offers more sound protection. Haartz rates Twillfast RPC as a mid-level acoustic product, compared to the low-level sound reduction offered on other top materials like Stayfast
Parts in this category (Chevrolet Corvette) fit cars for years: 1994, 1995 and 1996.