Chevrolet Cavalier, Cavalier RS, Cavalier Z24, 1988-92
Convertible Top and Convertible Top Parts
- Quality: Made to Chevrolet specs, 100% fit guarantee.
- Original Configuration: Two piece top, top section and window section joined upon installation.The cars on this page have a molding with chrome tips over the rear window, which are supplied. If your car has no molding then please shop at the 1992-93 page. This molding and its chrome tips are supplied. Also included is wrapped header bow seal.
- Original Factory Material: Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl in black, buckskin and bright white.
- Original Window: Plastic window. The window is 'full view' as in the picture. You will have the option of adding a lower fabric strip across the bottom.
- Alternate Materials: Haartz stayfast canvas
- All seams are doubly electronically welded and sewn for added reinforcement. Convertible top fabrics are mildew & mold resistant, and UV treated for color fastness. Plastic windows are DOT rated heavy 40-gauge thick vinyl.
- Shop with confidence: 6 year manufacturer warranty.
- Hydraulic Components: Hydraulic cylinders, motor pumps and hose sets all available and in stock.
Important InformationOriginal Factory Color(s): Black, Bright GM White and Dark Blue
Take a look at the two pictures above (of the back of the top.)
Convertibles made after February 1992
had no molding over the rear window.
The cars on this page are configured, with a molding
like the picture of the top on the left.
If your top is designed for "no molding" installation,
like the picture on the right, then
please return to the home page and select the 92-93 Cavaliers.
The original Chevrolet Cavalier convertible top fabric was Haartz Pinpoint vinyl. This is a classic fabric that was used on most American convertible tops from the fifties through the nineties.
Haartz Stayfast canvas is chosen by some restorers. It is the most durable of toppings. Please consult the 'Help' link above and select 'Convertible Top Fabrics' to read detailed information about these and other toppings. Contact us if you want a custom top in any other fabric.
These convertible tops are classic two part tops. That means that the rear window section and the main top are two separate sections. They are integrated by the stapling that is done in the installation process. You can read the summary of our two part top installation manual via the blue link below.
This summary will allow you to decide whether to perform your own installation. We have a 20 page illustrated, step by step installation manual for 80s and 90s Cavaliers. This should allow the patient, handy, person to install his/her own top. The installation involves stapling (must use stainless steel staples) and use of contact cement. There is no sewing.
Our package special is designed for the do-it-yourself complete top restoration. If you wish to order some, but not all, of the items in the package, please email us at email@example.com for a revised package quotation.
Hold Down Cables:
These fasten the top along the sides to the top frame. Cables thread through special pockets built into the inner edges of the main top.
Pads, under the top, can last through two or more tops. They can be examined upon removal of the old top and retained if undamaged.
The rear well liner is shaped to fit your car's well area. A pre-made well liner saves much measuring and cutting time. However an undamaged rear well liner may be left in place. Rear well liners, may last through several tops.
Tacking strips embedded into the front bow and the rear top bow, as well as smaller strips in the corners of the intermediate bows, receive the staples or tacks. Tack strips should last through two or even three tops.
There is a rear base line tacking bow set too. This assembly should last through several tops. Please inquire if you need help replacing your rear base tack bow set.
We now stock hydraulic cylinders, motor-pumps, and hoses for your convertible tops. All are made to OEM specifications. Each can be ordered separately; however, when ordering hydraulic cylinders we recommend replacing both. The chances are that both hydraulic cylinders were manufactured at the same time: if one is on its way out the other may follow. If the top is raised and one hydraulic cylinder is working harder than the other the result over time can lead to a slightly bent convertible top frame. The replacement of both hydraulic cylinders will ensure that the top raises and lowers symmetrically.
Systems for this car take Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and have a 1 year warranty when used with this fluid. Brake fluid should not be used as it voids the warranty. We also offer an installation manual when ordered.
The 12 volt motor-pumps include a mounting bracket with rubber grommets to reduce vibration.
We also offer a rebuilding service for motor-pumps. Not all are repairable, but it is less expensive to have one rebuilt than to buy a new one. The motor-pump would need to be sent to us for evaluation. Hoses come with all new fittings and are made specifically to fit your car.
Almost all manufacturers use Haartz fabrics. They may specify "heaviest weight" or "original replacement" in ways that seem reassuring. But they do not really tell the whole story. Please bear in mind that two things dominate, by far, the quality issue: (a) the manufacturing quality control in the factory that makes the top and (b) the care and thoroughness of the installation. There is a trade-off in weight: heavier is better for resisting tear through, but lighter is better for flexibility and abrasion from within that may arise from movement. Almost all our tops are a flexible medium density (36 oz.) fabric. Heavier is not better in most cases. Where it is, because of the top design, we will say so and the top will be made of the heavier vinyl.
- Sonnenland® is a German-made 3-ply topping made up of an acrylic twill-weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a polyester "dobby backing." The dobby backing is a knit-like weave original to many high-end foreign cars. Customers who value originality over cost often pay top dollar for Sonnenland, just to have that authentic "dobby backing," seen only when you look up at the roof of your convertible top from inside your car. Sonnenland canvas is a top-of-the-line material original to various Audi, BMW, and Jaguar convertibles, among others. Sonnenland Canvas can vary in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance, but all Sonnenland Canvas promises elegance and long-lasting durability.
- Twillfast®, also called Sonnendeck Canvas, is an American-made canvas - a cost-effective substitute for Sonnenland. Twillfast is usually a 3-ply topping (though some versions are 5-ply) with Polyester and/or Polyester/cotton backings. This material, original to certain Camaro, BMW, Mustang, and VW Beetle convertibles, among others, varies in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance. Twillfast Canvas is identical to Sonnenland Canvas - elegant and durable - only it's less expensive. This is a top-notch convertible top material, one we often recommend to savvy customers who like a good buy and a quality product.
- Stayfast Canvas is an elegant, durable canvas original to cars like the Mazda Miata and the Nissan 370Z. Stayfast is commonly used in replacement convertible tops. Stayfast canvas has an acrylic square weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a cotton backing. As with other canvases, the rubber core gives the fabric long-lasting durability. Stayfast canvas is a sleek, beautiful canvas, usually less expensive than Twillfast, but it does not have the dobby backing offered in Sonnenland and Twillfast (Sonnendeck). Stayfast is a popular upgrade to vinyl convertible tops, and as with any canvas, is richer looking and has a higher wear rating than convertible tops made of vinyl.
- Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is the most popular fabric. This vinyl design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. Pinpoint refers to the little dots or pips that you see if you look closely at the vinyl surface. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
- Chrysler Sailcloth is featured on many late LeBarons, Sebrings, certain Mustangs and other cars. It is structurally (wear quality) equivalent to the Haartz Pinpoint but has a different surface grain. The grain was designed to imitate the look of canvas. As you can see from the scan of this fabric, it is an exceptionally rich looking material. It is sometimes chosen for replacing convertible tops that originally featured pinpoint vinyl.
- Cabrio Grain is also structurally equivalent to the pinpoint. It has a pigskin outer grain vinyl as original to Volkswagen Cabriolets from 1984 onward and to Mazda Miatas and Mercury Capris.
- A5S German Canvas (Robbins) The 100% Acrylic Twill Weave Surface Cloth receives a special flame singing treatment to remove the fabric knap; and is laminated to Black 100% Polyester Dobby backing.
This is the original topping for Porsche Boxster and Cabrio convertible tops. 59 inches (150 cm) wide, made in Germany.
- British Bison Vinyl is the most popular British roadster convertible top material. It is American made Haartz leather grain vinyl and is an imitation of the British Everflex vinyl top fabric. The British Bison Vinyl convertible top fabric is often referred to as 'crush grain.'
- British Everflex Vinyl We are now pleased to offer British Everflex Vinyl for classic English tops. This is the original material used on British convertibles including Jaguar, Rolls Royce and many others. Imported from England, British Everflex vinyl is a supple vinyl with a rich appearance and is more durable than other vinyls. A good, less expensive alternative is Colonial grain vinyl. Colonial has the same texture but is less durable.
- HV Denim (also called Twill Weave Vinyl) is heavy duty sport material composed of a distinctive twill grain PVC outer layer and a polyester/cotton blend inside lining fabric.
- Trilogy Acoustic Vinyl A heavyweight vinyl that is often used on SUVs like Jeep, because the two-ply composite has the capacity to reduce noise by about 20 percent compared to standard vinyls like Sailcloth. The vinyl material is durable, promises long-lasting wear-and-tear, and resembles the sleek twill cloth commonly found on luxury convertible cars.
- Haartz Twillfast RPC This American-made canvas has a twill weave pattern and resembles German-made Sonnenland canvas. It is a great all-purpose canvas and, according to Haartz, is used on 99 percent of convertibles. It is stronger and more durable than Stayfast Canvas and offers more sound protection. Haartz rates Twillfast RPC as a mid-level acoustic product, compared to the low-level sound reduction offered on other top materials like Stayfast
Parts in this category (Chevrolet Cavalier, Cavalier RS, Cavalier Z24) fit cars for years: 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1992.