Oldsmobile Toronado (ASC), 1982-86
Convertible Top and Convertible Top Parts
Please verify the "ASC" label on either the driver door or trunk lid.
These convertible tops latch above the side windows.
The rear window (including edging) is 42" wide at its maximum.
- Quality: Made to original specs, 100% fit guarantee.
- Original Configuration: Two piece top, top section and window section; joined upon installation. Molding above rear window and its chrome tips are included. Header bow seal material included.
- Note on Window: In order to supply top with glass window we must have your existing window shipped to the factory for refurbishing.
- Original Factory Material: Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl in black, classic white and dark blue.
- Alternate Materials: Haartz stayfast canvas
- All seams are doubly electronically welded and sewn for added reinforcement. Convertible top fabrics are mildew & mold resistant, and UV treated for color fastness. Plastic windows are DOT rated heavy 40-gauge thick vinyl.
- Installation: Professional installation is suggested. A handy and meticulous person may consider DIY installation. This comprises use of a stapling gun and contact cement (as outlined in the manual summary in the link below.) There is no sewing involved. To locate a professional installer please enter "automobile upholstery shops near me" in your browser search bar.
- Shop with confidence: Made by EZ_On with its 6 year manufacturer warranty and 18 month labor allowance.
- Hydraulic Components: Hydraulic cylinders, motor pumps and hose sets all available and in stock.
Fabrics: The original convertible top pinpoint vinyl is the classic topping. Haartz STayfast canvas is often chosen by restorers wanting the elgeance of a canvas convertible top and its highest wear rating. You can read more about convertible top fabrics at the "Help" link at the top of this page.
Installation: This is a classic two part top. You can read a thorough summary of the construction and installation of this top via the blue link below. The full manual for installing the 1982-86 Toronado top is included with our full Toronado convertible top restoration packages.
If you feel comfortable renting and using an air driven staple gun then you are a good candidate for do-it-yourself installation. Only use stainless steel staples. There is stapling and glue work; no sewing.
Toronado Installation manual: The manual for classic two-part tops is summarized at the link below. We do have the 17 page 8 1/2 x 11 fully illustrated installation manual for the 82-85 Toronado convertible top removal and installation. It should enable the careful handy person to perform his or her own installation. The Riviera manual is included with our top restoration packages.
Both Parts Available Separately: If you wish to replace only the rear window section, or only the main top, the two parts are separately available. Order both the main top and the rear window section for a full convertible top (without the accessories.)
Hold Down Cables: A pair of cables, one on each side, thread through pocketed hems on the main top sides. The ends of the cables hold the convertible top to the frame. New cables are recommended with each new top. (You can read about cables in the installation summary link.)
Tacking strips: Much of the installation involves tacking or stapling (there is no sewing involved.) Tacking into the bow over the windshield (header bow) and into the bow over the rear window (rear top bow) is done into special strips embedded in these top frame bows. We offer new tack strips for the front and rear top bows. They should not be required until after at least two tops have been stapled to them.
Rebuilding the rear base line tacking strips requires grafting sections of suitable dimension and we would cut and ship per your needs for that purpose. Please email us at email@example.com for information about restoring the rear tacking strips at the base line.
Headliner: We can offer the headliner for the convertible interior roof. It is listed with accessories.
Top pads: Top padding "builds out" the top. Pads can last through two tops but should be replaced if of suspect condition.
Almost all manufacturers use Haartz fabrics. They may specify "heaviest weight" or "original replacement" in ways that seem reassuring. But they do not really tell the whole story. Please bear in mind that two things dominate, by far, the quality issue: (a) the manufacturing quality control in the factory that makes the top and (b) the care and thoroughness of the installation. There is a trade-off in weight: heavier is better for resisting tear through, but lighter is better for flexibility and abrasion from within that may arise from movement. Almost all our tops are a flexible medium density (36 oz.) fabric. Heavier is not better in most cases. Where it is, because of the top design, we will say so and the top will be made of the heavier vinyl.
- Sonnenland® is a German-made 3-ply topping made up of an acrylic twill-weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a polyester "dobby backing." The dobby backing is a knit-like weave original to many high-end foreign cars. Customers who value originality over cost often pay top dollar for Sonnenland, just to have that authentic "dobby backing," seen only when you look up at the roof of your convertible top from inside your car. Sonnenland canvas is a top-of-the-line material original to various Audi, BMW, and Jaguar convertibles, among others. Sonnenland Canvas can vary in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance, but all Sonnenland Canvas promises elegance and long-lasting durability.
- Twillfast®, also called Sonnendeck Canvas, is an American-made canvas - a cost-effective substitute for Sonnenland. Twillfast is usually a 3-ply topping (though some versions are 5-ply) with Polyester and/or Polyester/cotton backings. This material, original to certain Camaro, BMW, Mustang, and VW Beetle convertibles, among others, varies in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance. Twillfast Canvas is identical to Sonnenland Canvas - elegant and durable - only it's less expensive. This is a top-notch convertible top material, one we often recommend to savvy customers who like a good buy and a quality product.
- Stayfast Canvas is an elegant, durable canvas original to cars like the Mazda Miata and the Nissan 370Z. Stayfast is commonly used in replacement convertible tops. Stayfast canvas has an acrylic square weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a cotton backing. As with other canvases, the rubber core gives the fabric long-lasting durability. Stayfast canvas is a sleek, beautiful canvas, usually less expensive than Twillfast, but it does not have the dobby backing offered in Sonnenland and Twillfast (Sonnendeck). Stayfast is a popular upgrade to vinyl convertible tops, and as with any canvas, is richer looking and has a higher wear rating than convertible tops made of vinyl.
- Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is the most popular fabric. This vinyl design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. Pinpoint refers to the little dots or pips that you see if you look closely at the vinyl surface. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
- Chrysler Sailcloth is featured on many late LeBarons, Sebrings, certain Mustangs and other cars. It is structurally (wear quality) equivalent to the Haartz Pinpoint but has a different surface grain. The grain was designed to imitate the look of canvas. As you can see from the scan of this fabric, it is an exceptionally rich looking material. It is sometimes chosen for replacing convertible tops that originally featured pinpoint vinyl.
- Cabrio Grain is also structurally equivalent to the pinpoint. It has a pigskin outer grain vinyl as original to Volkswagen Cabriolets from 1984 onward and to Mazda Miatas and Mercury Capris.
- A5S German Canvas (Robbins) The 100% Acrylic Twill Weave Surface Cloth receives a special flame singing treatment to remove the fabric knap; and is laminated to Black 100% Polyester Dobby backing.
This is the original topping for Porsche Boxster and Cabrio convertible tops. 59 inches (150 cm) wide, made in Germany.
- British Bison Vinyl is the most popular British roadster convertible top material. It is American made Haartz leather grain vinyl and is an imitation of the British Everflex vinyl top fabric. The British Bison Vinyl convertible top fabric is often referred to as 'crush grain.'
- British Everflex Vinyl We are now pleased to offer British Everflex Vinyl for classic English tops. This is the original material used on British convertibles including Jaguar, Rolls Royce and many others. Imported from England, British Everflex vinyl is a supple vinyl with a rich appearance and is more durable than other vinyls. A good, less expensive alternative is Colonial grain vinyl. Colonial has the same texture but is less durable.
- HV Denim (also called Twill Weave Vinyl) is heavy duty sport material composed of a distinctive twill grain PVC outer layer and a polyester/cotton blend inside lining fabric.
- Trilogy Acoustic Vinyl A heavyweight vinyl that is often used on SUVs like Jeep, because the two-ply composite has the capacity to reduce noise by about 20 percent compared to standard vinyls like Sailcloth. The vinyl material is durable, promises long-lasting wear-and-tear, and resembles the sleek twill cloth commonly found on luxury convertible cars.
- Haartz Twillfast RPC This American-made canvas has a twill weave pattern and resembles German-made Sonnenland canvas. It is a great all-purpose canvas and, according to Haartz, is used on 99 percent of convertibles. It is stronger and more durable than Stayfast Canvas and offers more sound protection. Haartz rates Twillfast RPC as a mid-level acoustic product, compared to the low-level sound reduction offered on other top materials like Stayfast
Parts in this category (Oldsmobile Toronado (ASC)) fit cars for years: 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985 and 1986.