Mercury Monterey & Park Lane, 1959-1960
Convertible Top and Convertible Top Parts
- Quality: Made to original specs, 100% fit guarantee.
- Original Configuration: Two piece top, top section and window section integrate upon installation. Molding over rear window and chrome tips supplied. Extra fabric for header bow seal included. Installment alignment marks added.
- All seams are doubly electronically welded and sewn for added reinforcement. Convertible top fabrics are mildew & mold resistant, and UV treated for color fastness. Plastic windows are DOT rated heavy 40-gauge thick vinyl.
- Original Fabrics: Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl in black, Ford white and Ford blue (a pale blue now discontinued); Haartz Stayfast Canvas in black.
- Windows: We offer tops with plastic window. This top is made with an original style wrap around plastic window.
- Installation: Professional installation is suggested. A handy and meticulous person may consider DIY installation. This comprises use of a stapling gun and contact cement (as outlined in the manual summary in the link below.) There is no sewing involved. To locate a professional installer please enter "automobile upholstery shops near me" in your browser search bar.
- Tack Strips: Check your bow channel dimensions. The plastic strips (TS) usually work. We list all other dimenson strips and you can specify in checkout message if yours differ.
- Shop with confidence: 3 year manufacturer warranty.
- Hydraulic Components: Hydraulic cylinders, motor pumps and hose sets all available and in stock.
Important InformationOriginal Factory Color(s): Black, White and Ford Blue
The original topping fabric was pinpoint vinyl. We offer these tops; we also offer tops made of Haartz Stayfast canvas.
Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl’s design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. Pinpoint refers to the little dots or pips that you see if you look closely at the vinyl surface. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
Haartz Stayfast Canvas has a canvas outer layer and a preshrunk cotton inner layer. The two are bonded with and separated by a butyl rubber core. It is this core that makes the fabric last a very long time, with both better static and dynamic wear ratings than vinyl toppings. Haartz Stayfast is the American substitute for the German canvases used in Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, some models of Mustang and Lebaron and others. Canvas is widely regarded as "richer looking" than vinyl. It is a little harder to clean. The inside of the top is pre-shrunk cotton. The inner lining is usually black. If you do not see a canvas top listed for your car, please inquire and we will provide a quotation for it.
This is a classic two part top: the main top and the rear window sections are integrated during the installation process.
Installation involves stapling (using stainless steel staples) and gluing. There is no sewing. If you are confident using an air driven staple gun then you are a good candidate for do-it-yourself installation. You can read a summary of our 'two part top' manual via the blue link at the bottom of this page.
As original, the rear window section has a zippered window. The plastic is the highest grade 'Regalite' DOT approved plastic for windows.
Tacking strips are embedded in the header and rear top frame bows. They receive the staples. We offer replacement strips. (If your lower--below the back window--tacking belts need replacement please inquire.)
Hold down cables:
Cables are threaded through the side hems of the top and hold the top to the framework. They are not visible after installation. New cables are recommended with each new top.
Pads are installed under the top. They 'build out' the top along the sides.
A boot is optional; it receives and covers the top in the down position. We strongly recommend choosing a boot in a modern boot vinyl. This has some "give" and is much easier to use than a boot made in a topping fabric. Boots are usually chosen to complement the paint or interior colors.
1961-62 boots originally installed with 39 snaps. We provide new snaps. Installation of the boot requires lining new snaps up with the body snap receptacle locations, punching snap hole and banging in the new snap. This is a straightforward job and the "anvil" tool kit is provided, with instructions.
Our packages are designed to provide everything you will need for a full restoration job.
We now stock hydraulic cylinders, motor-pumps, and hoses for your convertible tops. All are made to OEM specifications. Each can be ordered separately; however, when ordering hydraulic cylinders we recommend replacing both. The chances are that both hydraulic cylinders were manufactured at the same time: if one is on its way out the other may follow. If the top is raised and one hydraulic cylinder is working harder than the other the result over time can lead to a slightly bent convertible top frame. The replacement of both hydraulic cylinders will ensure that the top raises and lowers symmetrically.
Systems for this car take Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and have a 1 year warranty when used with this fluid. Brake fluid should not be used as it voids the warranty. We also offer an installation manual when ordered.
The 12 volt motor-pumps include a mounting bracket with rubber grommets to reduce vibration.
Almost all manufacturers use Haartz fabrics. They may specify "heaviest weight" or "original replacement" in ways that seem reassuring. But they do not really tell the whole story. Please bear in mind that two things dominate, by far, the quality issue: (a) the manufacturing quality control in the factory that makes the top and (b) the care and thoroughness of the installation. There is a trade-off in weight: heavier is better for resisting tear through, but lighter is better for flexibility and abrasion from within that may arise from movement. Almost all our tops are a flexible medium density (36 oz.) fabric. Heavier is not better in most cases. Where it is, because of the top design, we will say so and the top will be made of the heavier vinyl.
- A5S German Canvas (Robbins) The 100% Acrylic Twill Weave Surface Cloth receives a special flame singing treatment to remove the fabric knap; and is laminated to Black 100% Polyester Dobby backing.
This is the original topping for Porsche Boxster and Cabrio convertible tops. 59 inches (150 cm) wide, made in Germany.
Parts in this category (Mercury Monterey & Park Lane) fit cars for years: 1959 and 1960.