Convertible Top and Convertible Top Parts
MGB Convertible Top Information:
- Quality: Made to original specs, 100% fit guarantee.
- Original Configuration: One piece top, three plastic windows..
- Windows: The MGBs from 1977-80 are identical to the 71-76 except that MG introduced a zipper on the center window. The 77-80 MGBs were made with a zipper on the window. If you have a 71-76 but prefer a zipper then order from the 77-80 tops. All snaps and hooks are installed on thes MGB tops.
- Original Factory Material: British Everflex Vinyl and Haartz Crush Grain Vinyl in black
- Warranties: We offer tops made by Kee, EZ-On and by Robbins. Robbins and EZ-On tops carry 6 year factory warranty with 18 month labor allowance. Kee tops carry 6 year factory warranty with no labor allowance.
- All seams are doubly electronically welded and sewn for added reinforcement. Convertible top fabrics are mildew & mold resistant, and UV treated for color fastness. Plastic windows are DOT rated heavy 40-gauge thick vinyl.
- Installation: Professional installation is suggested. To locate a professional installer type in "automobile upholstery shops near me" into your browser and you will see nearby shops. This installation should not be difficult for the meticulous, handy owner. We offer an installation manual with our tops.
Important InformationOriginal Factory Color(s): Black
In addition to ongoing expansion of its own primary product line, EZ ON has fueled growth through acquiring the resources of other respected firms. One recent example is bringing aboard and expanding our import car line to include Alfa Romeo, Austin Healy, Fiat, Jensen Healy, MG Series, and Triumph Series tops, all developed by Amco, a 50-plus year manufacturer of convertible tops.
Now armed with precision patterns and state-of-the-art equipment, EZ ON Auto Tops, Inc. enters the new millennium as the best source for virtually every application, domestic and import car.
About Robbins Auto Top Company: Since 1943, Robbins Auto Top Company has been committed to providing only the highest quality products and service to their customers. Through innovation, continuous improvement of manufacturing processes, and a highly skilled work force, they offer the highest quality products and level of service possible. Distinctive styling, fine custom workmanship and attention to detail are all benchmarks of Robbins Auto Top Company.
We have a step-by-step manual describing how to remove the old top and install the new one. The manual is clearly illustrated with our own installation pictures and accompanying step-by-step instructions. We believe that a patient do-it-yourselfer should be able to perform his or her installation. There is contact cement work, some tacking or stapling and the installation of pop rivets or sheet metal screws. There is no sewing.
We also maintain a tech support email where questions are answered daily. ( This is email@example.com )
The original topping was a black British vinyl. Our Colonial vinyl is an American made version. You can view the fabric via the swatch link on this page. We offer it in white and black.
We also offer the same top made with Haartz pinpoint vinyl. This fabric has identical physical properties as the Colonial but a different grain on the vinyl finish. It is available in more colors. You can view colors opposite the product description.
The 1971 tops on this page begins with cars with VIN# GHN 5U 223062G. If your 1971 has a lower VIN# then please go to the 1970 MGB tops page.
Our tops are manufactured with three electronically welded plastic windows, or you can select the top with the zippered rear window (only side windows fully welded in.) Tops are dimensioned exactly as original. The unzippered rear window top is somewhat more durable top than a zippered window top. However if you wish to ventilate your car via the back while the top is up then you should select the zippered window version.
Replacement tonneau covers are offered too. Please see "Accessories."
A top boot is an option. We offer replacement boots which attach as original. Select a color and specify it in the checkout message box.
Almost all manufacturers use Haartz fabrics. They may specify "heaviest weight" or "original replacement" in ways that seem reassuring. But they do not really tell the whole story. Please bear in mind that two things dominate, by far, the quality issue: (a) the manufacturing quality control in the factory that makes the top and (b) the care and thoroughness of the installation. There is a trade-off in weight: heavier is better for resisting tear through, but lighter is better for flexibility and abrasion from within that may arise from movement. Almost all our tops are a flexible medium density (36 oz.) fabric. Heavier is not better in most cases. Where it is, because of the top design, we will say so and the top will be made of the heavier vinyl.
- Sonnenland® is a German-made 3-ply topping made up of an acrylic twill-weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a polyester "dobby backing." The dobby backing is a knit-like weave original to many high-end foreign cars. Customers who value originality over cost often pay top dollar for Sonnenland, just to have that authentic "dobby backing," seen only when you look up at the roof of your convertible top from inside your car. Sonnenland canvas is a top-of-the-line material original to various Audi, BMW, and Jaguar convertibles, among others. Sonnenland Canvas can vary in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance, but all Sonnenland Canvas promises elegance and long-lasting durability.
- Twillfast®, also called Sonnendeck Canvas, is an American-made canvas - a cost-effective substitute for Sonnenland. Twillfast is usually a 3-ply topping (though some versions are 5-ply) with Polyester and/or Polyester/cotton backings. This material, original to certain Camaro, BMW, Mustang, and VW Beetle convertibles, among others, varies in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance. Twillfast Canvas is identical to Sonnenland Canvas - elegant and durable - only it's less expensive. This is a top-notch convertible top material, one we often recommend to savvy customers who like a good buy and a quality product.
- Stayfast Canvas is an elegant, durable canvas original to cars like the Mazda Miata and the Nissan 370Z. Stayfast is commonly used in replacement convertible tops. Stayfast canvas has an acrylic square weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a cotton backing. As with other canvases, the rubber core gives the fabric long-lasting durability. Stayfast canvas is a sleek, beautiful canvas, usually less expensive than Twillfast, but it does not have the dobby backing offered in Sonnenland and Twillfast (Sonnendeck). Stayfast is a popular upgrade to vinyl convertible tops, and as with any canvas, is richer looking and has a higher wear rating than convertible tops made of vinyl.
- Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is the most popular fabric. This vinyl design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. Pinpoint refers to the little dots or pips that you see if you look closely at the vinyl surface. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
- Chrysler Sailcloth is featured on many late LeBarons, Sebrings, certain Mustangs and other cars. It is structurally (wear quality) equivalent to the Haartz Pinpoint but has a different surface grain. The grain was designed to imitate the look of canvas. As you can see from the scan of this fabric, it is an exceptionally rich looking material. It is sometimes chosen for replacing convertible tops that originally featured pinpoint vinyl.
- Cabrio Grain is also structurally equivalent to the pinpoint. It has a pigskin outer grain vinyl as original to Volkswagen Cabriolets from 1984 onward and to Mazda Miatas and Mercury Capris.
- A5S German Canvas (Robbins) The 100% Acrylic Twill Weave Surface Cloth receives a special flame singing treatment to remove the fabric knap; and is laminated to Black 100% Polyester Dobby backing.
This is the original topping for Porsche Boxster and Cabrio convertible tops. 59 inches (150 cm) wide, made in Germany.
- British Bison Vinyl is the most popular British roadster convertible top material. It is American made Haartz leather grain vinyl and is an imitation of the British Everflex vinyl top fabric. The British Bison Vinyl convertible top fabric is often referred to as 'crush grain.'
- British Everflex Vinyl We are now pleased to offer British Everflex Vinyl for classic English tops. This is the original material used on British convertibles including Jaguar, Rolls Royce and many others. Imported from England, British Everflex vinyl is a supple vinyl with a rich appearance and is more durable than other vinyls. A good, less expensive alternative is Colonial grain vinyl. Colonial has the same texture but is less durable.
- HV Denim (also called Twill Weave Vinyl) is heavy duty sport material composed of a distinctive twill grain PVC outer layer and a polyester/cotton blend inside lining fabric.
- Trilogy Acoustic Vinyl A heavyweight vinyl that is often used on SUVs like Jeep, because the two-ply composite has the capacity to reduce noise by about 20 percent compared to standard vinyls like Sailcloth. The vinyl material is durable, promises long-lasting wear-and-tear, and resembles the sleek twill cloth commonly found on luxury convertible cars.
- Haartz Twillfast RPC This American-made canvas has a twill weave pattern and resembles German-made Sonnenland canvas. It is a great all-purpose canvas and, according to Haartz, is used on 99 percent of convertibles. It is stronger and more durable than Stayfast Canvas and offers more sound protection. Haartz rates Twillfast RPC as a mid-level acoustic product, compared to the low-level sound reduction offered on other top materials like Stayfast
Parts in this category (MGB) fit cars for years: 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 and 1980.