Toyota Celica (Asc), 1987-90
Convertible Top and Convertible Top Parts
- Quality: Made to Toyota specs, 100% fit guarantee.
- Original Configuration: Two piece top, top section and plastic window section joined upon installation. This top is made with the rear bow extrusion, covered front strip and vinyl binding as original.
- Convertible top fabrics are mildew & mold resistant, and UV treated for color fastness. Plastic windows are DOT rated heavy 40-gauge thick vinyl.
- Original Factory Material: Haartz Stayfast Canvas and Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl in black
- Shop with confidence: The factory warranty is 6 years.
- Installation. Professional installation is suggested. A handy and meticulous person may consider DIY installation using our installation manual (offered free with top or within Package Specials) There is no sewing involved. To locate a professional installer please enter "convertible car top installers near me" in your browser search bar. Google will list nearby shops.
- Hydraulic Components: Hydraulic cylinders, motor pumps and hose sets all available and in stock.
Important InformationOriginal Factory Color(s): Black and Blue
Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl: Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is a two-ply composite with a PVC outer layer and a cotton inner lining. Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is a popular Celica convertible top fabric. Pinpoint refers to the little dots on the vinyl surface. If you take care of a Haartz pinpoint vinyl convertible top, it can easily last 10 years.
Haartz Stayfast Canvas: If you're looking to upgrade your vinyl top, consider a convertible top made of Haartz Stayfast Canvas. This luxurious fabric was original to the Toyota Celica convertible. This fabric is the American substitute for the German canvases used in Mercedes, Porsche, and BMW. Haartz Stayfast Canvas is a three-ply composite material made of an acrylic square weave outer fabric, a butyl rubber core, and a cotton lining. The butyl rubber core promises to make Haartz Stayfast Canvas last a very long time. This canvas is a little richer looking than the vinyl. It's also a little harder to clean. Stayfast Canvas has both better static and dynamic wear ratings than vinyl tops, and so it costs more. Stayfast canvas is a great choice for a Celica soft top. Want to shop for Celica tops? Click here.
If you can use an air-driven staple gun and are patient and methodical, you are very likely to be able to install the Toyota Celica convertible top. Installing your own Celica soft top can save you hundreds of dollars in restoration labor costs!
To help you install your own Celica convertible top, we offer a profusely illustrated Toyota Celica convertible top manual. This covers, in detail, all the steps for do-it-yourself convertible top installation. You may purchase the manual to review it before purchasing a convertible top package. (We would then pro-rate future purchase of the convertible top when it is ordered.)
In most cases, our convertible top packages include everything you need to install your own Toyota Celica convertible top. (Convertible top frame seals must be ordered separately if required.) For the best deals, check out our Toyota Celica Best Buy convertible top packages, which include the Celica convertible top parts needed for do-it-yourself installation.
There is no sewing involved in installing a two-part convertible top, but you will have to be comfortable with a staple gun, manipulating convertible-top fabric, and applying contact cement. Our convertible-top packages include stainless-steel staples and the very best grade of contact cement with brush. Want to see our selection of Celica convertible top packages? Click here.
Almost all manufacturers use Haartz fabrics. They may specify "heaviest weight" or "original replacement" in ways that seem reassuring. But they do not really tell the whole story. Please bear in mind that two things dominate, by far, the quality issue: (a) the manufacturing quality control in the factory that makes the top and (b) the care and thoroughness of the installation. There is a trade-off in weight: heavier is better for resisting tear through, but lighter is better for flexibility and abrasion from within that may arise from movement. Almost all our tops are a flexible medium density (36 oz.) fabric. Heavier is not better in most cases. Where it is, because of the top design, we will say so and the top will be made of the heavier vinyl.
- Sonnenland® is a German-made 3-ply topping made up of an acrylic twill-weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a polyester "dobby backing." The dobby backing is a knit-like weave original to many high-end foreign cars. Customers who value originality over cost often pay top dollar for Sonnenland, just to have that authentic "dobby backing," seen only when you look up at the roof of your convertible top from inside your car. Sonnenland canvas is a top-of-the-line material original to various Audi, BMW, and Jaguar convertibles, among others. Sonnenland Canvas can vary in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance, but all Sonnenland Canvas promises elegance and long-lasting durability.
- Twillfast®, also called Sonnendeck Canvas, is an American-made canvas - a cost-effective substitute for Sonnenland. Twillfast is usually a 3-ply topping (though some versions are 5-ply) with Polyester and/or Polyester/cotton backings. This material, original to certain Camaro, BMW, Mustang, and VW Beetle convertibles, among others, varies in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance. Twillfast Canvas is identical to Sonnenland Canvas - elegant and durable - only it's less expensive. This is a top-notch convertible top material, one we often recommend to savvy customers who like a good buy and a quality product.
- Stayfast Canvas is an elegant, durable canvas original to cars like the Mazda Miata and the Nissan 370Z. Stayfast is commonly used in replacement convertible tops. Stayfast canvas has an acrylic square weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a cotton backing. As with other canvases, the rubber core gives the fabric long-lasting durability. Stayfast canvas is a sleek, beautiful canvas, usually less expensive than Twillfast, but it does not have the dobby backing offered in Sonnenland and Twillfast (Sonnendeck). Stayfast is a popular upgrade to vinyl convertible tops, and as with any canvas, is richer looking and has a higher wear rating than convertible tops made of vinyl.
- Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is the most popular fabric. This vinyl design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. Pinpoint refers to the little dots or pips that you see if you look closely at the vinyl surface. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
- Chrysler Sailcloth is featured on many late LeBarons, Sebrings, certain Mustangs and other cars. It is structurally (wear quality) equivalent to the Haartz Pinpoint but has a different surface grain. The grain was designed to imitate the look of canvas. As you can see from the scan of this fabric, it is an exceptionally rich looking material. It is sometimes chosen for replacing convertible tops that originally featured pinpoint vinyl.
- Cabrio Grain is also structurally equivalent to the pinpoint. It has a pigskin outer grain vinyl as original to Volkswagen Cabriolets from 1984 onward and to Mazda Miatas and Mercury Capris.
- A5S German Canvas (Robbins) The 100% Acrylic Twill Weave Surface Cloth receives a special flame singing treatment to remove the fabric knap; and is laminated to Black 100% Polyester Dobby backing.
This is the original topping for Porsche Boxster and Cabrio convertible tops. 59 inches (150 cm) wide, made in Germany.
- British Bison Vinyl is the most popular British roadster convertible top material. It is American made Haartz leather grain vinyl and is an imitation of the British Everflex vinyl top fabric. The British Bison Vinyl convertible top fabric is often referred to as 'crush grain.'
- British Everflex Vinyl We are now pleased to offer British Everflex Vinyl for classic English tops. This is the original material used on British convertibles including Jaguar, Rolls Royce and many others. Imported from England, British Everflex vinyl is a supple vinyl with a rich appearance and is more durable than other vinyls. A good, less expensive alternative is Colonial grain vinyl. Colonial has the same texture but is less durable.
- HV Denim (also called Twill Weave Vinyl) is heavy duty sport material composed of a distinctive twill grain PVC outer layer and a polyester/cotton blend inside lining fabric.
- Trilogy Acoustic Vinyl A heavyweight vinyl that is often used on SUVs like Jeep, because the two-ply composite has the capacity to reduce noise by about 20 percent compared to standard vinyls like Sailcloth. The vinyl material is durable, promises long-lasting wear-and-tear, and resembles the sleek twill cloth commonly found on luxury convertible cars.
- Haartz Twillfast RPC This American-made canvas has a twill weave pattern and resembles German-made Sonnenland canvas. It is a great all-purpose canvas and, according to Haartz, is used on 99 percent of convertibles. It is stronger and more durable than Stayfast Canvas and offers more sound protection. Haartz rates Twillfast RPC as a mid-level acoustic product, compared to the low-level sound reduction offered on other top materials like Stayfast
Parts in this category (Toyota Celica (Asc)) fit cars for years: 1987, 1988, 1989 and 1990.