Saab 900, 900S & 900SE, 1996-98
Convertible Top and Convertible Top Parts
Note: This Top will fit models with last 10 digit of the VIN # T7006412 & UP.There should be no seam (no fabric overlap) at the window lower corners. The fabric
should be smooth there, as shown in the picture, if you are shopping on this page.
If there is a seam (fabric overlap) then please shop at the 1995-96 page.
- Quality: Made to original specs, 100% fit guarantee.
- Original Configuration: Top will accept your existing glass window. These tops have clear marks to enable the alignment of the transferred window. Bindings are hand rolled as original and rain guards are built in as originally.
- Original Factory Material: Haartz Stayfast Canvas.in black, dark blue and tan. German Sonnenland Canvas in black, dark blue and tan.
- About These Canvas Toppings: The two canvases are extremely difficult to tell apart visually. The German Sonnenland is made with a woven inner lining that adds to its longevity.
- All seams are doubly electronically welded and sewn for added reinforcement. Convertible top fabrics are mildew & mold resistant, and UV treated for color fastness. Plastic windows are DOT rated heavy 40 gauge thick vinyl.
- Installation: Professional installation is recomended. To find a local professional installer search fir "auto upholstery shop mear me" and you should get a list of shops to contact.
- Do It Yourself Installation: This job requires meticulous attention to details, particularly the recording of all removed parts. There is extensive rivet work and contact cement work. There is no sewing. Here is a link to instructions: You will have to copy and then paste to your browser bar: http://www.saabservices.com/cvtop%20data/ng900cv%20fabric%20replacement.pdf
- Shop with confidence: These tops are made by EZ-On or Robbins as indicated, and carry their 6 year factory warranty with 18 month labor allowance.
Important InformationOriginal Factory Color(s): Black and Blue
Original Top Patterns:
Our tops are made from original Saab (dealer) tops and patterns accurately computerized for proper reproduction.
The original topping fabric was the highest grade German Sonnenland canvas. We offer the Sonnenland canvas replacement top. We also offer the American made Haartz Stayfast canvas top.
The Chrysler Sailcloth vinyl (original to late Mustangs and Sebrings) is a vinyl with a canvas imitation texture. This is very popular with restorers looking for some savings. We can supply a Chrysler Sailcloth vinyl top for your Saab.
Full descriptions of fabrics can be studied at our "Help" section (see "Help" link at top of page.)
The headliner is the interior roof covering. It can often be re-installed under a new top. Headliners are listed under "accessories." The headliner is a part that is separate from the top. Our headliners are made in black wool brocade cloth just like the original.
Hold Down Cables:
Encased in each side pocket (within the top) is a cable. The front and back of each cable attaches the top to the framework. And the cables tension the top when it is up. New cables are recommended with each new top that has seen typical raising and lowering during its use.
Installing involves glue work, fasteners and stapling. There is no sewing. Instructions for do-it-yourself installation are available.
Saab owners should be aware of top frame design problems resulting in pinching and abrasion to tops. Be very careful raising and lowering your top to minimize such risk.
Saab 9-3 Tops:
In 1998 Saab introduced its 9-3 Models. Those tops are on another page.
Almost all manufacturers use Haartz fabrics. They may specify "heaviest weight" or "original replacement" in ways that seem reassuring. But they do not really tell the whole story. Please bear in mind that two things dominate, by far, the quality issue: (a) the manufacturing quality control in the factory that makes the top and (b) the care and thoroughness of the installation. There is a trade-off in weight: heavier is better for resisting tear through, but lighter is better for flexibility and abrasion from within that may arise from movement. Almost all our tops are a flexible medium density (36 oz.) fabric. Heavier is not better in most cases. Where it is, because of the top design, we will say so and the top will be made of the heavier vinyl.
- Sonnenland® is a German-made 3-ply topping made up of an acrylic twill-weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a polyester "dobby backing." The dobby backing is a knit-like weave original to many high-end foreign cars. Customers who value originality over cost often pay top dollar for Sonnenland, just to have that authentic "dobby backing," seen only when you look up at the roof of your convertible top from inside your car. Sonnenland canvas is a top-of-the-line material original to various Audi, BMW, and Jaguar convertibles, among others. Sonnenland Canvas can vary in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance, but all Sonnenland Canvas promises elegance and long-lasting durability.
- Twillfast®, also called Sonnendeck Canvas, is an American-made canvas - a cost-effective substitute for Sonnenland. Twillfast is usually a 3-ply topping (though some versions are 5-ply) with Polyester and/or Polyester/cotton backings. This material, original to certain Camaro, BMW, Mustang, and VW Beetle convertibles, among others, varies in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance. Twillfast Canvas is identical to Sonnenland Canvas - elegant and durable - only it's less expensive. This is a top-notch convertible top material, one we often recommend to savvy customers who like a good buy and a quality product.
- Stayfast Canvas is an elegant, durable canvas original to cars like the Mazda Miata and the Nissan 370Z. Stayfast is commonly used in replacement convertible tops. Stayfast canvas has an acrylic square weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a cotton backing. As with other canvases, the rubber core gives the fabric long-lasting durability. Stayfast canvas is a sleek, beautiful canvas, usually less expensive than Twillfast, but it does not have the dobby backing offered in Sonnenland and Twillfast (Sonnendeck). Stayfast is a popular upgrade to vinyl convertible tops, and as with any canvas, is richer looking and has a higher wear rating than convertible tops made of vinyl.
- Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is the most popular fabric. This vinyl design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. Pinpoint refers to the little dots or pips that you see if you look closely at the vinyl surface. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
- Chrysler Sailcloth is featured on many late LeBarons, Sebrings, certain Mustangs and other cars. It is structurally (wear quality) equivalent to the Haartz Pinpoint but has a different surface grain. The grain was designed to imitate the look of canvas. As you can see from the scan of this fabric, it is an exceptionally rich looking material. It is sometimes chosen for replacing convertible tops that originally featured pinpoint vinyl.
- Cabrio Grain is also structurally equivalent to the pinpoint. It has a pigskin outer grain vinyl as original to Volkswagen Cabriolets from 1984 onward and to Mazda Miatas and Mercury Capris.
- A5S German Canvas (Robbins) The 100% Acrylic Twill Weave Surface Cloth receives a special flame singing treatment to remove the fabric knap; and is laminated to Black 100% Polyester Dobby backing.
This is the original topping for Porsche Boxster and Cabrio convertible tops. 59 inches (150 cm) wide, made in Germany.
- British Bison Vinyl is the most popular British roadster convertible top material. It is American made Haartz leather grain vinyl and is an imitation of the British Everflex vinyl top fabric. The British Bison Vinyl convertible top fabric is often referred to as 'crush grain.'
- British Everflex Vinyl We are now pleased to offer British Everflex Vinyl for classic English tops. This is the original material used on British convertibles including Jaguar, Rolls Royce and many others. Imported from England, British Everflex vinyl is a supple vinyl with a rich appearance and is more durable than other vinyls. A good, less expensive alternative is Colonial grain vinyl. Colonial has the same texture but is less durable.
- HV Denim (also called Twill Weave Vinyl) is heavy duty sport material composed of a distinctive twill grain PVC outer layer and a polyester/cotton blend inside lining fabric.
- Trilogy Acoustic Vinyl A heavyweight vinyl that is often used on SUVs like Jeep, because the two-ply composite has the capacity to reduce noise by about 20 percent compared to standard vinyls like Sailcloth. The vinyl material is durable, promises long-lasting wear-and-tear, and resembles the sleek twill cloth commonly found on luxury convertible cars.
- Haartz Twillfast RPC This American-made canvas has a twill weave pattern and resembles German-made Sonnenland canvas. It is a great all-purpose canvas and, according to Haartz, is used on 99 percent of convertibles. It is stronger and more durable than Stayfast Canvas and offers more sound protection. Haartz rates Twillfast RPC as a mid-level acoustic product, compared to the low-level sound reduction offered on other top materials like Stayfast
Parts in this category (Saab 900, 900S & 900SE) fit cars for years: 1996, 1997 and 1998.