Chrysler Lebaron, 1987-95
Convertible Top and Convertible Top Parts
- Quality: Made to Chrysler specs, 100% fit guarantee.
- Original Configuration: Two piece top, top section and window section. Joined upon installation. In 1990 Chrysler eliminated the molding over the rear window. All tops for this series have the modern interior flap for the attachment at the rear top bow. Material for header bow seal is included.
- Original Materials and Colors: 87-89: Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl: black, classic white, buckskin. 90-95: Chrysler Sailcloth Vinyl black, quartz, buckskin, white. Haartz Stayfast Canvas: black.
- All seams are doubly electronically welded and sewn for added reinforcement. Convertible top fabrics are mildew & mold resistant, and UV treated for color fastness. Plastic windows are DOT rated heavy 40-gauge thick vinyl.
- Shop with confidence: 6 year manufacturer warranty.
- Hydraulic Components: Hydraulic cylinders, motor pumps and hose sets all available and in stock.
Important InformationOriginal Factory Color(s): Black, White, Buckskin, Quartz and Dark Blue
The original Chrysler Lebaron convertible top fabric was pinpoint vinyl for 1987-1989 models. 1990 cars featured both pinpoint vinyl and Chrysler Sailcloth vinyl. The Sailcloth then replaced pinpoint as the dealer convertible top fabric.
There is no physical difference between the construction of the two toppings; their surface textures differ. The Sailcloth was introduced as a new surface texture, to imitate the look of canvas.
Haartz Stayfast Canvas: We are now pleased to offer the 1990-95 Chrysler Lebaron convertible top in the very popular Haartz Stayfast Canvas. This is a great alternative for a better looking, more durable top.
About Haartz Stayfast Canvas has a canvas outer layer and a preshrunk cotton inner layer. The two are bonded with and separated by a butyl rubber core. It is this core that makes the fabric last a very long time, with both better static and dynamic wear ratings than vinyl toppings. Haartz Stayfast is the American substitute for the German canvases used in Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, some models of Mustang and Lebaron and others. Canvas is widely regarded as "richer looking" than vinyl. It is a little harder to clean. The inside of the top is pre-shrunk cotton. The inner lining is usually black. If you do not see a canvas top listed for your car, please inquire and we will provide a quotation for it.
Classic Two Part Tops:
This top consists of two parts as originally designed. This is true of most convertible tops: the main top and the rear window section are integrated during the installation process. You can read about this in the link to our convertible top installation manual via the link at the bottom of this page.
If you feel comfortable using an air driven staple gun and with using contact cement then you are a candidate for do-it-yourself installation. You may read how this top is organized and installed via our summary link below.
There is no sewing involved in the installation. Contact cement work and stapling (or tacking) are used to attach the top.
Purchasing Main top and Rear Window Separately:
If either section of the top is intact, while the other requires replacing then order the replacement section. The rear window section can be installed to an existing main top, and vice-versa.
Plastic Rear Windows: While not original, these are very popular because of the savings. We use highest gauge plastic available. Owner-installers will be able to replace the rear window section if it scratches after, say, four or five years.
Hold Down Cables:
Cables threaded through the special hems in the top attach the top at the front and rear corners of the frame. We recommend new cables with each top.
Tack strips are embedded in the header (front) and the rear top bow (above rear window.) They should last through two tops.
The "pads" build out the top. They should also last through two tops.
Note that Chrysler issued a service bulletin #23-23-89/P-3754 which addressed premature wear through of dealer tops. For this reason we sell only the modified reinforced webbing straps as our padding kit. This helps cure the abrasion problem that was identified with original tops and pads.
Our packages contain what you need for a full top restoration. We have listed the popular packages and fabrics. The two part manual edited so that it is 1987-95 Lebaron specific is included with our top restoration packages.
We now stock hydraulic cylinders, motor-pumps, and hoses for your convertible tops. All are made to OEM specifications. Each can be ordered separately; however, when ordering hydraulic cylinders we recommend replacing both. The chances are that both hydraulic cylinders were manufactured at the same time: if one is on its way out the other may follow. If the top is raised and one hydraulic cylinder is working harder than the other the result over time can lead to a slightly bent convertible top frame. The replacement of both hydraulic cylinders will ensure that the top raises and lowers symmetrically.
Systems for this car take Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and have a 1 year warranty when used with this fluid. Brake fluid should not be used as it voids the warranty. We also offer an installation manual when ordered.
The 12 volt motor-pumps include a mounting bracket with rubber grommets to reduce vibration.
Custom Carpet Kit: We now stock the custom carpet kit for your car. This carpet is made to OEM specifications and is molded to perfectly fit. The carpet is made with cut outs and is high quality cut pile. This will replace your old carpet perfectly. The carpet kit comes with an easy installation manual. Specify carpet color in checkout message box.
Almost all manufacturers use Haartz fabrics. They may specify "heaviest weight" or "original replacement" in ways that seem reassuring. But they do not really tell the whole story. Please bear in mind that two things dominate, by far, the quality issue: (a) the manufacturing quality control in the factory that makes the top and (b) the care and thoroughness of the installation. There is a trade-off in weight: heavier is better for resisting tear through, but lighter is better for flexibility and abrasion from within that may arise from movement. Almost all our tops are a flexible medium density (36 oz.) fabric. Heavier is not better in most cases. Where it is, because of the top design, we will say so and the top will be made of the heavier vinyl.
- Sonnenland® is a German-made 3-ply topping made up of an acrylic twill-weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a polyester "dobby backing." The dobby backing is a knit-like weave original to many high-end foreign cars. Customers who value originality over cost often pay top dollar for Sonnenland, just to have that authentic "dobby backing," seen only when you look up at the roof of your convertible top from inside your car. Sonnenland canvas is a top-of-the-line material original to various Audi, BMW, and Jaguar convertibles, among others. Sonnenland Canvas can vary in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance, but all Sonnenland Canvas promises elegance and long-lasting durability.
- Twillfast®, also called Sonnendeck Canvas, is an American-made canvas - a cost-effective substitute for Sonnenland. Twillfast is usually a 3-ply topping (though some versions are 5-ply) with Polyester and/or Polyester/cotton backings. This material, original to certain Camaro, BMW, Mustang, and VW Beetle convertibles, among others, varies in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance. Twillfast Canvas is identical to Sonnenland Canvas - elegant and durable - only it's less expensive. This is a top-notch convertible top material, one we often recommend to savvy customers who like a good buy and a quality product.
- Stayfast Canvas is an elegant, durable canvas original to cars like the Mazda Miata and the Nissan 370Z. Stayfast is commonly used in replacement convertible tops. Stayfast canvas has an acrylic square weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a cotton backing. As with other canvases, the rubber core gives the fabric long-lasting durability. Stayfast canvas is a sleek, beautiful canvas, usually less expensive than Twillfast, but it does not have the dobby backing offered in Sonnenland and Twillfast (Sonnendeck). Stayfast is a popular upgrade to vinyl convertible tops, and as with any canvas, is richer looking and has a higher wear rating than convertible tops made of vinyl.
- Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is the most popular fabric. This vinyl design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. Pinpoint refers to the little dots or pips that you see if you look closely at the vinyl surface. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
- Chrysler Sailcloth is featured on many late LeBarons, Sebrings, certain Mustangs and other cars. It is structurally (wear quality) equivalent to the Haartz Pinpoint but has a different surface grain. The grain was designed to imitate the look of canvas. As you can see from the scan of this fabric, it is an exceptionally rich looking material. It is sometimes chosen for replacing convertible tops that originally featured pinpoint vinyl.
- Cabrio Grain is also structurally equivalent to the pinpoint. It has a pigskin outer grain vinyl as original to Volkswagen Cabriolets from 1984 onward and to Mazda Miatas and Mercury Capris.
- A5S German Canvas (Robbins) The 100% Acrylic Twill Weave Surface Cloth receives a special flame singing treatment to remove the fabric knap; and is laminated to Black 100% Polyester Dobby backing.
This is the original topping for Porsche Boxster and Cabrio convertible tops. 59 inches (150 cm) wide, made in Germany.
- British Bison Vinyl is the most popular British roadster convertible top material. It is American made Haartz leather grain vinyl and is an imitation of the British Everflex vinyl top fabric. The British Bison Vinyl convertible top fabric is often referred to as 'crush grain.'
- British Everflex Vinyl We are now pleased to offer British Everflex Vinyl for classic English tops. This is the original material used on British convertibles including Jaguar, Rolls Royce and many others. Imported from England, British Everflex vinyl is a supple vinyl with a rich appearance and is more durable than other vinyls. A good, less expensive alternative is Colonial grain vinyl. Colonial has the same texture but is less durable.
- HV Denim (also called Twill Weave Vinyl) is heavy duty sport material composed of a distinctive twill grain PVC outer layer and a polyester/cotton blend inside lining fabric.
- Trilogy Acoustic Vinyl A heavyweight vinyl that is often used on SUVs like Jeep, because the two-ply composite has the capacity to reduce noise by about 20 percent compared to standard vinyls like Sailcloth. The vinyl material is durable, promises long-lasting wear-and-tear, and resembles the sleek twill cloth commonly found on luxury convertible cars.
- Haartz Twillfast RPC This American-made canvas has a twill weave pattern and resembles German-made Sonnenland canvas. It is a great all-purpose canvas and, according to Haartz, is used on 99 percent of convertibles. It is stronger and more durable than Stayfast Canvas and offers more sound protection. Haartz rates Twillfast RPC as a mid-level acoustic product, compared to the low-level sound reduction offered on other top materials like Stayfast
Parts in this category (Chrysler Lebaron) fit cars for years: 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 and 1995.