Saab 900 & 900S & SE, 1986-94
Convertible Top and Convertible Top Parts
- Quality: Made to original specs, 100% fit guarantee.
- Original Configuration: Two piece top: main top section and window section. These are joined together upon installation. Included is the molding for above the rear window and its chrome tips.
- Original Factory Material: German Sonnenland canvas.in black, dark blue and tan. Haartz Stayfast canvas is a nice substitute.
- About Canvas Toppings: German Sonnenland is the longest wear rated topping. Its inner layer (under-side) is woven adding to its durability. It is extremely difficult to detect difference visually between the Haartz Stayfast and the German Sonnenland. Haartz Stayfast has a plain (unwoven) under-side. Twillfast (Sonnendeck) Canvas has a woven underside like the Sonnenland and a slightly lower wear rating.
- Original Window: Glass window with defroster.
- All seams are doubly electronically welded and sewn for added reinforcement. Convertible top fabrics are mildew & mold resistant, and UV treated for color fastness. Plastic windows are DOT rated heavy 40 gauge thick vinyl.
- Installation: Professional installation is recomended. Do It Yoiurself installation is recommended only for handy meticulous restorers. The link below summarizes how this two part top installs. There is no sewing; use of contact cement and a staple gun required. To find a local professional installer search for "auto upholstery shop mear me" and you should get a list of shops to contact.
- Shop with confidence: 6 year manufacturer warranty.
Important InformationOriginal Factory Color(s): Black and Tan
The original Saab convertible top fabric was German Sonnenland canvas. This is the most durable of all convertible top fabrics. The Haartz Stayfast American canvas is extremely close in appearance but the field test wear rating of this fabric is 15% lower than that of Sonnenland.
The Stayfast interior layer is not cross woven like that of the Sonnenland.
Chrysler Sailcloth vinyl is original to many Mustangs and Sebrings. It is a vinyl with a canvas finish. It has about 65% of the durability rating as Sonnenland canvas.
Two Part Top:
This top is installed in two separate parts as originally designed. They are integrated in the installation process which is summarized at the link at the bottom of this page. The installation involves stapling (or tacking) and the use of bonding contact cement (or slower setting neoprene glue.) There is no sewing.
Both parts are included in our top packages. However, if you want the top without the cables, or tack strip please order the two parts of the top (order both main top and rear window section.)
A step by step installation manual is available with our tops and included in our top restoration packages.
The two sections of the top are available separately for those installing only the main top or only the "curtain" (rear window section.)
Saab issued service bulletins warning of pinching and abrasion of the 1986-94 tops. It is important to be careful when raising and lowering this top frame.
Savings can be had with the use of a plastic window curtain. Our plastic windows are 40 guage rated vinyl and should provide years of service.
The Chrysler Sailcloth vinyl (original to late model Mustangs and Sebrings) is a vinyl whose surface grain was designed to emulate canvas. It is a rich looking easy to clean vinyl topping which affords savings over canvas toppings. Our package special with the Chrysler Sailcloth vinyl top with plastic window (plus cables, tack strip and install manual) is very popular with do-it-yourself Saab restorers.
The headliner is the interior fabric ceiling. We have the original replacement black cloth headliner. It is a part which is separate from the top and is listed with "Accessories.
We now stock hydraulic cylinders, motor-pumps, and hoses for your convertible tops. All are made to OEM specifications. Each can be ordered separately; however, when ordering hydraulic cylinders we recommend replacing both. The chances are that both cylinders were manufactured at the same time: if one is on its way out the other may follow. If the top is raised and one hydraulic cylinder is working harder than the other the result over time can lead to a slightly bent convertible top frame. The replacement of both will ensure that the top raises and lowers symmetrically.
Systems for this car take Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and have a 1 year warranty when used with this fluid. Brake fluid should not be used as it voids the warranty.
Almost all manufacturers use Haartz fabrics. They may specify "heaviest weight" or "original replacement" in ways that seem reassuring. But they do not really tell the whole story. Please bear in mind that two things dominate, by far, the quality issue: (a) the manufacturing quality control in the factory that makes the top and (b) the care and thoroughness of the installation. There is a trade-off in weight: heavier is better for resisting tear through, but lighter is better for flexibility and abrasion from within that may arise from movement. Almost all our tops are a flexible medium density (36 oz.) fabric. Heavier is not better in most cases. Where it is, because of the top design, we will say so and the top will be made of the heavier vinyl.
- Sonnenland® is a German-made 3-ply topping made up of an acrylic twill-weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a polyester "dobby backing." The dobby backing is a knit-like weave original to many high-end foreign cars. Customers who value originality over cost often pay top dollar for Sonnenland, just to have that authentic "dobby backing," seen only when you look up at the roof of your convertible top from inside your car. Sonnenland canvas is a top-of-the-line material original to various Audi, BMW, and Jaguar convertibles, among others. Sonnenland Canvas can vary in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance, but all Sonnenland Canvas promises elegance and long-lasting durability.
- Twillfast®, also called Sonnendeck Canvas, is an American-made canvas - a cost-effective substitute for Sonnenland. Twillfast is usually a 3-ply topping (though some versions are 5-ply) with Polyester and/or Polyester/cotton backings. This material, original to certain Camaro, BMW, Mustang, and VW Beetle convertibles, among others, varies in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance. Twillfast Canvas is identical to Sonnenland Canvas - elegant and durable - only it's less expensive. This is a top-notch convertible top material, one we often recommend to savvy customers who like a good buy and a quality product.
- Stayfast Canvas is an elegant, durable canvas original to cars like the Mazda Miata and the Nissan 370Z. Stayfast is commonly used in replacement convertible tops. Stayfast canvas has an acrylic square weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a cotton backing. As with other canvases, the rubber core gives the fabric long-lasting durability. Stayfast canvas is a sleek, beautiful canvas, usually less expensive than Twillfast, but it does not have the dobby backing offered in Sonnenland and Twillfast (Sonnendeck). Stayfast is a popular upgrade to vinyl convertible tops, and as with any canvas, is richer looking and has a higher wear rating than convertible tops made of vinyl.
- Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is the most popular fabric. This vinyl design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. Pinpoint refers to the little dots or pips that you see if you look closely at the vinyl surface. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
- Chrysler Sailcloth is featured on many late LeBarons, Sebrings, certain Mustangs and other cars. It is structurally (wear quality) equivalent to the Haartz Pinpoint but has a different surface grain. The grain was designed to imitate the look of canvas. As you can see from the scan of this fabric, it is an exceptionally rich looking material. It is sometimes chosen for replacing convertible tops that originally featured pinpoint vinyl.
- Cabrio Grain is also structurally equivalent to the pinpoint. It has a pigskin outer grain vinyl as original to Volkswagen Cabriolets from 1984 onward and to Mazda Miatas and Mercury Capris.
- A5S German Canvas (Robbins) The 100% Acrylic Twill Weave Surface Cloth receives a special flame singing treatment to remove the fabric knap; and is laminated to Black 100% Polyester Dobby backing.
This is the original topping for Porsche Boxster and Cabrio convertible tops. 59 inches (150 cm) wide, made in Germany.
- British Bison Vinyl is the most popular British roadster convertible top material. It is American made Haartz leather grain vinyl and is an imitation of the British Everflex vinyl top fabric. The British Bison Vinyl convertible top fabric is often referred to as 'crush grain.'
- British Everflex Vinyl We are now pleased to offer British Everflex Vinyl for classic English tops. This is the original material used on British convertibles including Jaguar, Rolls Royce and many others. Imported from England, British Everflex vinyl is a supple vinyl with a rich appearance and is more durable than other vinyls. A good, less expensive alternative is Colonial grain vinyl. Colonial has the same texture but is less durable.
- HV Denim (also called Twill Weave Vinyl) is heavy duty sport material composed of a distinctive twill grain PVC outer layer and a polyester/cotton blend inside lining fabric.
- Trilogy Acoustic Vinyl A heavyweight vinyl that is often used on SUVs like Jeep, because the two-ply composite has the capacity to reduce noise by about 20 percent compared to standard vinyls like Sailcloth. The vinyl material is durable, promises long-lasting wear-and-tear, and resembles the sleek twill cloth commonly found on luxury convertible cars.
- Haartz Twillfast RPC This American-made canvas has a twill weave pattern and resembles German-made Sonnenland canvas. It is a great all-purpose canvas and, according to Haartz, is used on 99 percent of convertibles. It is stronger and more durable than Stayfast Canvas and offers more sound protection. Haartz rates Twillfast RPC as a mid-level acoustic product, compared to the low-level sound reduction offered on other top materials like Stayfast
Parts in this category (Saab 900 & 900S & SE) fit cars for years: 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993 and 1994.